Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #1811
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

That's a good point. In my earlier statement, I was assuming things are moving slowly---fermentation is mostly stopped. Shaking it up will knock a bunch of gas out of suspension faster than the lid can vent.

You can get a similar effect by taking a plastic jar or other container not designed for holding pressure and filling it half-way or so with hot water. Put on the lid and shake. You will get an eruption there, too (This gets me a lot when washing out jars for recycling.)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2013, 01:49 AM   #1812
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Curiou to know what people use to store their washed yeast. I start with a pint canning jar and then transfer to baby food jars once the yeast has drppoed out and settled. I am using baby food jars because of feeding our 8 month old baby but I don't know if this is OK storage for 1-2 months.

Any thoughts?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 03-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #1813
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 26

msa8967 - I use baby food jars too, the large ones (4 ounces?). I boil mine and haven't had any issues yet.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:19 AM   #1814
tg123
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I have a couple of white lab vials and tried transferring some from my glass container to those but i don't think i got enough out of it.

Bottles: JAOM, Apfelwein
Kegs: Amarillo Saison, Centenniamarillo Blonde
Primary: Blood Orange Hef
Secondary: Water spots

Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #1815
sethlovex
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg123
I have a couple of white lab vials and tried transferring some from my glass container to those but i don't think i got enough out of it.
I wash and decant starter and use a turkey baster to grab the slurry. Figure on making another starter anyway before pitching.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 AM   #1816
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I am sure this has been covered in the 1800+ replies on this thread but I will ask it anyway.

Is there any evidence that Starsan solution alone is insufficient to sanitise all items that the rinsed yeast will come in contact with( including the storage containers). I have always put my containers and equipment in the pressure cooker but others suggest this is unnecessary and I only need use starsan and boil the water used in rinsing the yeast.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #1817
lakedawgs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I wash mason jars then fill with light solution of Oxy Clean and let sit for 1/2 hour then rinse and drop everything in a bucket of Starsan for a 1/2 hour and have never had an issue.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #1818
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 185 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 168

If starsan is good enough for sanitize while you are fermenting, I don't see why it wouldn't be good enough for the washed yeast.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #1819
jeffjm
Custom Yeast Home Builder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I just sanitize my jars with a spray bottle of starsan. It works fine.

I set out running but I take my time.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #1820
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
If starsan is good enough for sanitize while you are fermenting, I don't see why it wouldn't be good enough for the washed yeast.
I think you are asking a bit more out of the sanitization when washing yeast. With an ordinary fermentation, you have very active yeast that will outperform most potential infections. By the time the yeast slows, you have a high alcohol environment that will inhibit anything that survived. It's only the relatively few bacteria or wild yeasts that can tolerate the alcohol that cause problems.

In a yeast rinse, you are doing everything you can to obtain yeast+water and put the yeast into a dormant state. In that situation, it seems at least plausible that the environment is more hospitable to infection by organisms that would normally be overwhelmed in a beer. Boiling (especially in a pressure cooker) will do a more thorough job of sanitizing, in some cases reaching sterilization.

This is speculation, though, and there are good counterarguments: the rinsed yeast are stored in a cold environment; the stored slurry has less food to make it an enticing habitat for bacteria; and it doesn't do any good to start with a sterile jar if you don't have a completely sterile process for handling and filling it.

While going through my last rinse, I was wondering the same thing, though. It was a pain to boil the jars and lids. I suspect in most cases you'd be fine either way, and probably the most effective approach would be to boil so you can start with a near-sterile jar, then use contact sanitizer to protect against infection during the rinse. If anyone has concrete information about this, I'd be interested.

Quick Reply