New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #1801
branCHEs
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Speaking of cell count, is there any way to get a rough estimate as to how many cells of yeast you have successfully washed?

I have been thinking about doing this for my next batch but I am unsure how many separate jars to split it into.

I want to make sure that I have the appropriate amount of yeast based on my projected OG.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2013, 01:11 AM   #1802
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by branCHEs View Post
Speaking of cell count, is there any way to get a rough estimate as to how many cells of yeast you have successfully washed?
This has been asked and answered a couple times in the last few weeks on here. Here's my answer from the last time: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/index174.html#post4821930 (many others have given advice on this topic in this thread as well)

Edit: Apparently this link doesn't work for everyone (see Chriso's next post). Sorry. If anyone knows a better way to link to a post, let me know by PM and I'll happily update this one.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #1803
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I can't get that link to work - Because I browse with "40 posts per page" turned on, It gives me a dead link that just takes me to the top of the very last page. - For anyone else also having this problem, the post he's referring to is #1736.

If you are having the same problem as I am, try this URL instead: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-washing-illustrated-41768/index44.html#post4821930

How annoying that it hard-codes which "page" of posts you are on, based on your view setting. That's not really a "Perma" link..... software fail. Oh well. More of a "Perma, for you, maybe" link. Anyways. Carry on.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 02-26-2013, 02:06 AM   #1804
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 49

any worry about mason jar bottle bombs with yeast washing? I just put jars in the fridge from a 10 day old primary, fermentation was pretty much done on day 5.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #1805
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I'd suggest leaving the screw-on ring a bit loose so the jar can vent easily if it needs to. Even if you screw it tight, mason jars are terrible at maintaining internal positive pressure, so I don't think you'd be able to screw it on tightly enough that the glass would break before the lid found a way to leak.

But I wouldn't be inclined to try.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #1806
lakedawgs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When I make a starter from some of the rinsed yeast I will start with a small gravity wort and move up to a larger gravity wort. I'm guessing this will take about 2 days. If the sample is infected will I know it by the smell of the yeast starter after a couple of days?
Any way to tell if the starter is bad?
Just wondering.
Thanks
Lakedawgs

Old 02-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #1807
Nhurianek
Recipes 

Great thread, very helpful. This was my first go at saving and washing yeast. How did I do? If you haven't tried this it is easier than it seems. Now i have to brew a few more beers. Cheers!

Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 AM   #1808
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhurianek
Great thread, very helpful. This was my first go at saving and washing yeast. How did I do? If you haven't tried this it is easier than it seems. Now i have to brew a few more beers. Cheers!
If you think this is easy, you should try harvesting from a starter (see signature for details)

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

|BRULOSOPHY|

Old 02-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #1809
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
If you think this is easy, you should try harvesting from a starter (see signature for details)
Yep, I have been growing up double starters, letting them settle out in the cold, pour off the wort, ad glycerine to 15%, chill again and freeze. Works out great and I always have a couple more starters ready to go when I need that yeast again. I have four yeast strains ready for an overnight and into the fermenter. Saves time and money. Avoids the whole washing process.

That is what the yeast excretes and that's what we imbibe.
"
Adam Cole (aka cadamole) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dzUOYTQtQ)

Interested in Freezing Yeast for later use in brewing?
See my article:

freezing-yeast

Old 02-28-2013, 12:11 AM   #1810
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post
any worry about mason jar bottle bombs with yeast washing? I just put jars in the fridge from a 10 day old primary, fermentation was pretty much done on day 5.
It can happen. Somewhere, maybe in this thread, I had one erupt on me and I posted a picture. No glass breakage but it did a number on the lid and made a yeasty mess. I highly recommend that you not shake them up, especially with some of the more active yeasts (whatever that means) unless you have cracked the lid a bit. I shook the one in question to get the yeast into suspension to pour out. The yeast started shooting every direction and then there was a loud Pop! and a mess ensued. Fun times!

Quick Reply