Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #1721
jonmohno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1193

Do you need to wash yeast if you make a starter with origional vial of yeast to put in different jars for future batches.? I do 2.5 gallon batches,so how many jars can you get out of 1 vial/starter? And how big of a starter should I use?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 02:27 AM   #1722
h4mmy86
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Sorry in advance if this has already been brought up!

For those of you who harvest from 5 gallon batches, use jars with marked measurements and follow this method exactly, filling 4 jars with slurry....

How many ml thick would you say your cake is after a few days in the fridge?

Just wanna make sure I'm on par here.
I seem to get around 50ml maybe a bit less. Hard to say cuz the lowest marking on my jar is 100ml

Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #1723
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 128 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4mmy86 View Post
For those of you who harvest from 5 gallon batches, use jars with marked measurements and follow this method exactly, filling 4 jars with slurry....

How many ml thick would you say your cake is after a few days in the fridge?
I did this recently and my best estimate is that I only had about 10 mL in each pint jar. On the plus side, there was essentially no visible trub. This seems to be a bit less than most people get, which may be because I pulled a big part of the cake to immediately repitch, and I probably took the best part of the rinsed slurry for that.

The cell counts were good enough to launch a starter right away, even after about 6 weeks, but I made an effort to be conservative by adding a first stage with about half a liter of low gravity wort.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #1724
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

What's the longest anyone here has stored washed yeast and effectively used it. And of course with a starter.

Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 01-20-2013, 06:38 PM   #1725
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
What's the longest anyone here has stored washed yeast and effectively used it. And of course with a starter.
11 months for me

Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #1726
jb3218
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

After a couple of days in my secondary, I notice what looks like yeast on the bottom. Is that indeed yeast or something else. Also, I thought that once the yeast cells ate the sugars, they were no any good. Is the yeast at the end of fermentation the extra cells that were not needed? Yeast washing looks interesting and I may try it in the near future so I'm trying to understand it better.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #1727
HollisBT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3218
After a couple of days in my secondary, I notice what looks like yeast on the bottom. Is that indeed yeast or something else. Also, I thought that once the yeast cells ate the sugars, they were no any good. Is the yeast at the end of fermentation the extra cells that were not needed? Yeast washing looks interesting and I may try it in the near future so I'm trying to understand it better.
Yeast are living organisms just like yourself, are you not any good after you eat?

What kills yeast is high alcohol levels, heat, and a few other unlivable conditions that your beer should not present to the organisms. After they eat the sugar, they go to sleep and remain in a stasis until they see prime living/feeding/multiplying conditions again.

Think of them like sea monkeys, they are kind of hard to kill.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #1728
SDBreWs0624
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

subscribe

SDBreWs0624

Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #1729
Jason541
Recipes 

I have been washing and reusing my yeas for a couple of years now with this same technique with good success. However, I have just for the most part, been using .25gal starter wort to 1 pint jar of yeast wash per 6 gal regardless of the OG. My question is, (and I apologize if it was previously covered but I did try searching without finding any results to my liking), but lets say I just brewed a 6 gallon batch @ OG 1.057. How many of the pint jars of the washed yeast do you suggest and at what volume of starter wort do you suggest?

I have tried using Mr. Malty but I am not certain what the results mean due to the fact I am unsure how to enter the data correctly. I know, call me stupid...sometimes I just need it spelled out for me.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated,
Jason

Old 01-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #1730
TripleHopped
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb3218 View Post
Yes, in the bottom of your secondary that is yeast. You DO NOT want to use that yeast. That is yeast that does not flocculate well. If you were to use that yeast you will end up having a hard time clearing your beers. You want to use the yeast from your primary. Minus the rinsing of the trub, hot and cold break, hop bits and dead yeast.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

5 Gallon Portable Corney Keg Cooler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/coolerator-build-135048/

Quick Reply