Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #1671
BPhad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Let's say I don't have enough time or desire to wash the yeast on he same day as transferring/bottling the beer, but can the following day. Would I be better off just covering back my primary bucket after transferring the beer off or should I transfer the trub to a glass jar and then store in the fridge overnight?
I've had success jus putting the airlock back on a letting it sit a day or two. I try to leave a layer of the beer covering the trub/yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #1672
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 183 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Thanks. That's good to know.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #1673
skullface1818
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Last time I re-harvested, I took two pint sized glasses full of yeast, after letting it settle in a gallon wine jug (my go-to starter and yeast washing vessals)

My first glass went off without a hitch, but my second had a lot of trub in it. so I shook it up a lot and let it resettle, but the trub all settled ontop of the yeast!
I thought it was funny, so I poured it out (the yeast had settled at that point, so the trub and beer just poured out perfectly), and added a fresh bottle of canned beer on top of it.
(beer from the same batch mind you, harvested about 2 days previously)

It seemds to have worked too! no trub in the jar, no exploded jars (I had to vent a few times tho nothing serious), and my yeast is still under a protective layer of brown ale, and I've got a 2ed sample of yeast to work with

all well lol

Old 12-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #1674
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm brewing a hefeweizen in the next few days and I have some washed jars of WLP300 yeast that have been sitting in the fridge for about 6 months. from what I gather they should still be good. I used 2 jars in a 1 liter of wort starter (1 liter of wort in a 2 liter jar) instead of just one to give me a few extra viable cells... do I need to do anything to the starter since it's a tad old on the washed yeast? step it up? or just give it an extra day (usually do a 24 hour starter)?

Old 12-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #1675
TripleHopped

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I'm brewing a hefeweizen in the next few days and I have some washed jars of WLP300 yeast that have been sitting in the fridge for about 6 months. from what I gather they should still be good. I used 2 jars in a 1 liter of wort starter (1 liter of wort in a 2 liter jar) instead of just one to give me a few extra viable cells... do I need to do anything to the starter since it's a tad old on the washed yeast? step it up? or just give it an extra day (usually do a 24 hour starter)?
I've heard that for any of the Hefeweizen yeasts they need to be used within a couple of weeks, otherwise they will not make the best beer possible.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

5 Gallon Portable Corney Keg Cooler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cool...-build-135048/

Old 12-22-2012, 01:36 PM   #1676
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidGold View Post
I've heard that for any of the Hefeweizen yeasts they need to be used within a couple of weeks, otherwise they will not make the best beer possible.
Where did you hear that?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #1677
wormraper
Recipes 

yeah, I'd like to know too. I've used 2-3 month old Hefe yeasts without problem (just haven't tried something as old as 6 months before)

Old 12-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #1678
ultravista
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I recently used a 6 month old jar of WLP007. It wasn't "washed" perse but watered down enough to fill my jars. WLP007 is a clumping yeast that is hard to separate.

The 1.5L starter was slow to take off but when it did it did very well.

Older yeast becomes less viable, that's a given. With an ample starter however, you can bring it back to life. 6 months is the oldest I have used thus far.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #1679
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravista View Post
I recently used a 6 month old jar of WLP007. It wasn't "washed" perse but watered down enough to fill my jars. WLP007 is a clumping yeast that is hard to separate.

The 1.5L starter was slow to take off but when it did it did very well.

Older yeast becomes less viable, that's a given. With an ample starter however, you can bring it back to life. 6 months is the oldest I have used thus far.
kewl, I'll give it a whirl then, the starter is showing signs of activity after 24 hours so late tonight "ll do my boil, if it doesn't take off I can always toss in some cheap WB-06 to finish it off

Old 12-23-2012, 01:18 AM   #1680
TripleHopped

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Where did you hear that?
I've heard it from several pro brewers that I have talked to. There are several podcasts out there too.
One from Brew Strong where Jamil talks about it is the 08-10-09 Yeast Washing episode. I don't remember the others ones that I have listened to that have talked about it.

Brew Strong
Brew Hard
Real Hard

5 Gallon Portable Corney Keg Cooler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cool...-build-135048/

Quick Reply