Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 04:25 AM   #1651
TBaGZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 91

So I made a starter out of some 1056 I washed back in July, and pitched it in a brown ale I made last Wednesday. I did 3 steps for the starter getting it up to 2L and 230 billion cells. Each step fermented fairly aggressively and always had a nice krausen when I swirled (no stir plate yet) it. I pitched into the 5.5gal batch on Wednesday night, and had visible activity on Thursday afternoon. It never got real aggressive though. I could have used an airlock no problem in the 6 gal carboy. My last batch was the two hearted clone that I pitched a starter built up from dregs, and the fermentation was very aggressive, blowing out the blow off tube for 2 days. Do you think I am going to have issues with this batch or should I just RDWADHB?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM   #1652
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaGZ View Post
So I made a starter out of some 1056 I washed back in July, and pitched it in a brown ale I made last Wednesday. I did 3 steps for the starter getting it up to 2L and 230 billion cells. Each step fermented fairly aggressively and always had a nice krausen when I swirled (no stir plate yet) it. I pitched into the 5.5gal batch on Wednesday night, and had visible activity on Thursday afternoon. It never got real aggressive though. I could have used an airlock no problem in the 6 gal carboy. My last batch was the two hearted clone that I pitched a starter built up from dregs, and the fermentation was very aggressive, blowing out the blow off tube for 2 days. Do you think I am going to have issues with this batch or should I just RDWADHB?
Every fermentation is different. If you have activity and pitched the right amount of yeast, I would definitely RDWHAHB.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #1653
dlyford
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlyford View Post
I followed the directions and had great success. Here is a pic of the final product.

Just a follow up to my prior post http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yea...ml#post4604650.

I wasn't sure how much yeast was on the bottom of the jars so I decanted almost all the liquid from one jar and poured it into an empty vial. This is what it looked like. The one of the right is WLP001, mine in the middle is WLP001, the one on the right is WLP007.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #1654
TBaGZ
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 91

you have two rights?

Old 11-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #1655
dlyford
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBaGZ View Post
you have two rights?
That should be the one on the LEFT is WLP001, MIDDLE is 001 I washed, and RIGHT is WLP007.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #1656
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Distilled Water

It may have been covered previously but I cannot find any reference to finally rinsing and storing yeast under distilled water.
I note in the YEAST book that it is recommended that yeast be stored under sterilized, distilled water.
Any thoughts on the use of distilled water vs any other sort of water for maximizing the period that rinsed yeast could be stored?

Old 12-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #1657
JonGrafto
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_caro
It may have been covered previously but I cannot find any reference to finally rinsing and storing yeast under distilled water.
I note in the YEAST book that it is recommended that yeast be stored under sterilized, distilled water.
Any thoughts on the use of distilled water vs any other sort of water for maximizing the period that rinsed yeast could be stored?
Sterilized is the way to go. I used a gallon of distiller once and my yeast ended up with an infection.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #1658
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Thanks Jon
Sorry for the confusion. I was not advocating avoiding the sterilization process for the water but rather interested whether distilled water without any impurities would enable rinsed yeast to be stored longer than using other types of water.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 AM   #1659
HollisBT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_caro
Thanks Jon
Sorry for the confusion. I was not advocating avoiding the sterilization process for the water but rather interested whether distilled water without any impurities would enable rinsed yeast to be stored longer than using other types of water.
I doubt that it would help at all. Just use boiled water, that makes it sterile and deoxygenated.

You are trying to preserve a living thing, no matter what it is going to lose its vitality over time.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #1660
grndslm
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_caro View Post
Thanks for the question.... I learned something today!!

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6210705AAG8GI7
Quote:
Whats the difference between sterilized water and distilled water?

5 years ago

minefinder
Best Answer - Chosen by Voters

Sterilized means that all the bacteria and viruses have been removed or killed, such as by UV irradiation or boiling.

Distilled means the water has been boiled, the steam collected, and condensed back into pure water.

Sterilized water is not necessarily pure and could still be toxic, as it could contain poisonous substances in solution such as mercury, lead, or arsenic. This question is in the water sports section, so for example chlorinated pool water would be sterilized but not necessarily toxin-free. The chlorine has sterilized the water by killing microorganisms, but that has not removed toxins including the chlorine itself.

Distilled water will be 100% pure water with no impurities at all.

I've done all the work solely on intuition, without hydrometer.
-- Maegnar

+ Yeast Washing Illustrated -- REVISITED!!
+ Super Simple 15G Plastic Conical -- REVISITED

Quick Reply