Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #1601
pabloj13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbrewer View Post
I’ve been using rehydrated dry yeast. I’m interested in yeast washing to save some money. From what I’ve read, there seem to be occasional problems with the washed yeast – contamination, viability problems, cell count, etc. With dry yeast being pretty cheap, is it worth risking a $30 batch of beer to save a packet of yeast?
I don't waste my time with washing dry yeast, but at the same time if you're brewing a beer that uses a different strain that you can only get in liquid format it's worth it. Plus when you make your starter you should be able to tell if your yeast has issues.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #1602
SnowBird
Recipes 

Very good write up, Thanks!

Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #1603
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Would a sanitized plastic 1 gallon water jug work for the intermediate vessel? (The bigger jar in the OP.) I have small mason jars to use, but not a big enough glass container to let it settle out in.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #1604
HollisBT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordzilla
Would a sanitized plastic 1 gallon water jug work for the intermediate vessel? (The bigger jar in the OP.) I have small mason jars to use, but not a big enough glass container to let it settle out in.
You don't have any growlers?

Personally, I wouldn't use anything that I couldn't also ferment in...

Old 10-15-2012, 09:29 PM   #1605
Fordzilla
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollisBT View Post
You don't have any growlers?

Personally, I wouldn't use anything that I couldn't also ferment in...
I don't have any growlers and I'd like to try washing my yeast tomorrow when I transfer. I guess I could go get one and get hammered tonight.

The yeast should only be in the jug for about 30 minutes anyway, so I think i should be OK after I wash and sanitize it.

Old 10-17-2012, 03:36 AM   #1606
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Admittedly, I'm not one to wear a belt and suspenders, but using a water jug for the intermediate vessel wouldn't concern me at all. As long as it's in good condition, I say clean it, sanitize it and get washing!

Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #1607
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

OK, I've been wanting to learn a bit about yeast washing and I found this thread. Lots of good stuff here.
Prior to reading this I was planning on two things.
First, I've got a batch in the bucket right now. I was going to let it sit there till just before I start my next batch, then I was going to get a yeast harvest from the bottom of the primary to make a starter for the batch that I will start within a week. I figure by making a starter I'll know what I've got.

Next, I had thought about when I open my next package of yeast to make a starter for another beer, I would simply give it some time and make a bigger starter like say... a gallon jug and make a 3/4 gallon starter. If I time it right I should have a half gallon that is very viable. I should be able to use this for a starter in one batch, then put the rest either into another bigger starter or boil up some mason jars and put it in the fridge shouldn't I?
Pretty much doing the same idea but rather than taking it from the bottom of your latest batch of beer you are using mini batches and when you get ready to brew again you simply make a large starter whenever you need to stock up again.
Less stuff going into the yeast food should equate to less chances of something you don't want getting into the yeast culture I would think.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #1608
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
...then I was going to get a yeast harvest from the bottom of the primary to make a starter for the batch that I will start within a week.
If you're going to reuse within a week or so, I'd strongly urge you to read the first post in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/

This technique has given me my best ferments. I use Bernie Brewer's washing technique when I need to store my yeast for more than a week, otherwise I'll just harvest 1c of unwashed yeast slurry and throw it in the fridge for a few days until I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45_70sharps View Post
Less stuff going into the yeast food should equate to less chances of something you don't want getting into the yeast culture I would think.
Perhaps, particularly if your sanitation isn't really dialed in. But my experience has been that yeast that has a couple generations under its belt (both 1c of unwashed slurry and washed yeast w/ starter) actually performs better than a new culture. YMMV.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #1609
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140 View Post
Perhaps, particularly if your sanitation isn't really dialed in. But my experience has been that yeast that has a couple generations under its belt (both 1c of unwashed slurry and washed yeast w/ starter) actually performs better than a new culture. YMMV.
I'm not so worried about my sanitation, more just thinking that the more time it spends in the world, the more chance there is of picking up something.

The fact that yeast with a couple generations of use under it' belt being better though is very good information. Exactly the type of thing that I hope to pick up on here.

I'm going to try a yeast wash. I'll make a starter when I go to use it and if I don't see the life that I expect I'll have a pack of yeast on hand to use.

Old 10-19-2012, 03:11 AM   #1610
Fordzilla
Recipes 

My first attempt at yeast washing. Before adding water, I harvested 1 cup to pitch on Saturday. I clearly didn't let it settle out long enough. What should I do at this point? Re-wash it?

Edit: Sorry about the multiple pictures, the app kept crashing.

forumrunner_20121018_230844.jpg   forumrunner_20121018_230921.jpg   forumrunner_20121018_231130.jpg  

Quick Reply