Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #1591
2BeerSpeer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Think I'll try this soon....how long can u reuse the yeast? While touring Highland Brewery in Asheville they mentioned they never use yeast after 8 generations if I remember correctly.

Keg #1 --- Barrel Aged Burnt Whiskers
Keg #2 --- WAGZ IIPA
Keg #3 --- Dickens Cider
Keg #4 --- Barrel Aged Burnt Whiskers- Nitro
Keg #5 --- Highland Brewing Co. Cold Mtn. Winter Ale .....1/6th barrel
Keg #6 --- DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus .....1/6th barrel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #1592
Zabuza
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BeerSpeer
Think I'll try this soon....how long can u reuse the yeast? While touring Highland Brewery in Asheville they mentioned they never use yeast after 8 generations if I remember correctly.
Individual jars last up to a year (with good practices); most say 5-10 generations depending on how good your sanitization is.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #1593
mistercameron
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I normally get about 4-5 jars out of a batch - G1. G2 will then be 4-5 more jars. If you were to do the math, even 5 generations will make more beer than you will probably ever home brew in your entire life. If you only saved 2 jars you'd still get quite a bit of use out of one $7-8 vial of yeast.

Now that I think of it, there's no need to keep that much yeast on hand for 5gal batches. I should be content with 2-3 jars per generation, each with a higher yeast concentration.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #1594
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwaffles View Post
Washed some yeast from a porter two weeks ago. Got 4 jelly jars full in fridge. My question is.... i want to brew this saturday (a stout). Do i just pull a jar out sat. Morning let it warm up, decant and pitch into stout? Or do i need to make a starter friday night?
I used to do that with no issues, though my lag times were all over the map. So I started doing a starter and now my lag time is pretty much four hours. There are valid reasons for doing a starter other than lag time, so I would recommend that you do starters to make better beer. It may or may not be noticeable, the difference in a beer made with a starter or not, but for the peace of mind factor (and it's simple to do, so why not?) I always do a starter nowadays.

Cheers!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #1595
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

I have read that washing yeast works well for up to 5 generations but know I am wondering if does a yeast starter from washed yeast count as a generation? What if you ended up stepping up the size of a starter, will this count for a generation? (ie, if there a certain period of time for yeast activity to count as a generation?)

My gut says that making the starter will not count as a generation but since we had bad mexican food for dinner last night I am not wanting to trust my gut instincts.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #1596
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

No, starter doesn't count.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #1597
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by diS View Post
No, starter doesn't count.
Thank you

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #1598
DurtyChemist
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Made a starter from the 25mL tube I had from 9/18 and it's taking off pretty well. It's in my growler with the lid on loose and when I stir it up the foam comes almost OUT of the top of the bottle.

2 pint starter
0.6 oz DME
sounds about right....I think this stuff will be a strong fermentation for an OctoAle I have planned on Sunday. Cold crash Saturday night by leaving it outside. Lows here are 40.

As far as washing and keeping a bunch of jars...yeah if you get 5 jars from each batch and NEVER go back to the first stock of 4 unused jars you'll end up with a lot of yeast. I'm personally washing and trying to condense it as much as possible to take up less room. Date it and I'll probably toss stuff that's 3 months or older. Yeast isn't so expensive that throwing out A SINGLE wash will break the bank.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #1599
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Safale 05 explosion!

So I went to make a starter from some 05 I had washed. Noticed the top was a little distended, but being a moron, I did not bother to let the CO2 escape by popping the jelly jar open. Next brilliant move was when I decided to get the yeast into suspension by swirling the crap out of it. That's when all hades broke loose! The pressure bent the lid:

Yeast foam went EVERYWHERE! What a mess...Learn from my stupidity. Always vent your jars before swirling!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM   #1600
ncbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I’ve been using rehydrated dry yeast. I’m interested in yeast washing to save some money. From what I’ve read, there seem to be occasional problems with the washed yeast – contamination, viability problems, cell count, etc. With dry yeast being pretty cheap, is it worth risking a $30 batch of beer to save a packet of yeast?

Quick Reply