Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #1531
hepcat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollisBT View Post
I would use it, it's been boiled donut should be good.

Fwiw, when I do a wash I just use sanitizer on my jars and lids. It's easier and safer than trying to remove full jars of water from a near boiling vat of water. I just boil the water I need for the wash beforehand and let it cool down, then I always have some sanitizer made up on the day that I transfer.
Thanks HollisBT, I completely agree with you re just sanitizing the jars/lids, after a good cleaning with hot, soapy water and thorough rinse.

Went to Walmart yesterday and bought a pair of cheap ($1.00) scissor tongs and they already have rust on them from putting them in water. So won't be using them any more, and don't want to pay $10-$15 for SS tongs, I too think sanitized jars/lids will be sufficient. THanks again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #1532
hepcat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Harvested/washed some SafaleUS-05 yesterday. Pretty easy.

img_2055.jpg  

Old 07-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #1533
happycymbals
Recipes 

I followed the same instructions with a California ale yeast that I had used for an American brown ale and it was in the refrigerator for about two weeks. Yesterday I used it to make a starter and I'm getting nothing. It's been about 18 hours and the room temp is super hot right now so I would have expected it to have a quick fermentation. Should I wait? Perhaps I did something wrong in the process and the yeast are dead. Should I try to pitch this to my next beer? Thanks for the help.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #1534
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycymbals View Post
I followed the same instructions with a California ale yeast that I had used for an American brown ale and it was in the refrigerator for about two weeks. Yesterday I used it to make a starter and I'm getting nothing. It's been about 18 hours and the room temp is super hot right now so I would have expected it to have a quick fermentation. Should I wait? Perhaps I did something wrong in the process and the yeast are dead. Should I try to pitch this to my next beer? Thanks for the help.
2 weeks is nothing. Did the yeast layer get thicker? A lot of times starters show no real "activity".

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #1535
happycymbals
Recipes 

Ok it's now been over 24 hours and I'm seeing some action. I guess I'm used to faster fermentations with the starters I've made from the liquid yeast files. Perhaps it takes longer with repitched yeast? I just assumed the higher temps would speed things along.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #1536
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by explosivebeer View Post
Logistically, I guess I don't really want my fridge filled with ten bottles of every yeast strain I try. I was just curious if there was a minimum amount of yeast you'd want in each container. As it is, I think I'll have more than enough with my current process.

If I find some smaller, stackable containers I might split my batches up a bit more but for now I'm happy to have seemingly learned how to wash and store yeast!
I know this post is 5 years old but thought this would be helpful.
http://www.target.com/p/ball-5ct-pla...i_sku=12911517
We have some of these and I think they would be great for washed yeast. I will try it out in a few weeks.

Old 08-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #1537
Ryguy73
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post

All that's left to do is label the jars and put them in the fridge. Then when it's time to make a starter, you just pull one out, let it warm to room temp, and decant most of the liquid out of the jar, give the rest a good shake, and pitch it into your starter..

Hope this helps. Good luck.
Hi bernie:

i am wondering if you use just one of the starters per batch? I am confused by the statement "give the rest a good shake"...Does this mean the rest of the one container or the rest of all the containers? I expect that you are only talking about one mason jar per batch.

Thanks,

Ryan.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #1538
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Humbly speaking for Bernie, I'm pretty sure this means give the rest of the contents in the one container a good shake in order to break up and loosen the yeast that's clumped together or clinging to the bottom of the jar.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #1539
foodplusbeer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How much can you bend the rules with this process and what are the consequences? Last week I threw some mason jars in the dishwasher ( on sanitary mode, no soap) with bottles when I was bottling. Instead of boiled water I used bottled water.

A couple days later I added another bottle of water and transferred to another mason jar, sanitized with starsan, because I had wayyy too much trub.

Which of these corners that I cut will have the worst effect? What is the sanitary status of bottled water? Can the dishwasher replace a boil? Would starsan not do the trick? Honestly, ill probably dump this yeast, the risk value reward ratio doesn't pay off. Just curious.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #1540
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodplusbeer View Post
How much can you bend the rules with this process and what are the consequences? Last week I threw some mason jars in the dishwasher ( on sanitary mode, no soap) with bottles when I was bottling. Instead of boiled water I used bottled water.

A couple days later I added another bottle of water and transferred to another mason jar, sanitized with starsan, because I had wayyy too much trub.

Which of these corners that I cut will have the worst effect? What is the sanitary status of bottled water? Can the dishwasher replace a boil? Would starsan not do the trick? Honestly, ill probably dump this yeast, the risk value reward ratio doesn't pay off. Just curious.
Starsan can certainly replace the boil for sanitization purposes. The other reason for boiling, though, is to drive off oxygen so that the yeast go dormant more easily. I know lots of people use bottled water during brewing with no problems. I would imagine it would be ok. My guess is that you are fine. If you are worried, just make a starter with your washed yeast and taste the wort after it is done fermenting out. If it tastes fine, you're good to go.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Quick Reply