The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #1521
jwalker1140
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirImage View Post
I just kegged a blonde ale and a cream ale. I screwed up washing the cream ale and only got two jars, but I don't think i'll be doing many more cream ales soon. Thanks for the Thread Bernie. Go Crew!
You do realize that you can use your washed yeast in types of beer other than the type it came from, right? I'm not trying to be condescending. Just want to make sure you get the full benefit from doing this. Currently, I'm fermenting an amber ale with 1056, which was washed from a blue moon clone, which was washed from a cream ale. And on it goes. Props again to Bernie! This is an awesome thread.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #1522
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks for the guide. First attempt was a great success; re-pitched one jar straight away and was bubbling within a couple of hours.
In the jar I have in the fridge the water is yellow from the lager picked up in the trub. Should I decent and add cleaner (boiled) water or does a bit of malt not affect storage life at fridge temperates?

Old 07-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #1523
Peppers16
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsnayd
Great information! How long do these keep?
Palmer says a couple of months and discard when it turns the colour of peanut butter.
I like the idea someone else mentioned about pitching to starter and washing again to "reset the clock", but my only concern is if you rely on this too much you're selecting from a small population of surviving cells and might altar the characteristics of your yeast.
Not relevant, but interesting: Palmer advises against repeatedly washing from secondary because you're effectively breeding the least flocculent cells that are slow to clear. Artificial selection in action!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #1524
MirImage
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140

You do realize that you can use your washed yeast in types of beer other than the type it came from, right? I'm not trying to be condescending. Just want to make sure you get the full benefit from doing this. Currently, I'm fermenting an amber ale with 1056, which was washed from a blue moon clone, which was washed from a cream ale. And on it goes. Props again to Bernie! This is an awesome thread.
Yes I do. The Cream ale yeast I used was WLP080 Cream Ale Mix. I don't think many people have used it on other styles of beer. The other one is saf-05 which I use a lot of.

Fermenting: malbec, Chocolate Raspberry Porter
Bottled: Ridgeback Red, Apfelwein, Blackberry Wheat
Kegged: Millennium Falcon IPA, Blackberry Wheat, Black Crack Imperial Stout
Coming: kiwi/prickle pear mead

Old 07-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #1525
BPhad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirImage

Yes I do. The Cream ale yeast I used was WLP080 Cream Ale Mix. I don't think many people have used it on other styles of beer. The other one is saf-05 which I use a lot of.
How did you like the WLP080? Was thinking of trying it on my next cream ale, I used Nottingham and 1956 on my first two attempts and they both were good.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #1526
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhad

How did you like the WLP080? Was thinking of trying it on my next cream
I've used it on two separate batches and thought they came out pretty good.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 07-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #1527
MirImage
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPhad

How did you like the WLP080? Was thinking of trying it on my next cream ale, I used Nottingham and 1956 on my first two attempts and they both were good.
I haven't tried it besides tasting samples but it was very clean. I wish I could have fermented it at lower temps but its hard for a low budget, apartment brewer in TX. I fermented in the high 60s.

Fermenting: malbec, Chocolate Raspberry Porter
Bottled: Ridgeback Red, Apfelwein, Blackberry Wheat
Kegged: Millennium Falcon IPA, Blackberry Wheat, Black Crack Imperial Stout
Coming: kiwi/prickle pear mead

Old 07-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #1528
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
I haven't tried it besides tasting samples but it was very clean. I wish I could have fermented it at lower temps but its hard for a low budget, apartment brewer in TX. I fermented in the high 60s.
Quote:
Check out Nordeast's blog on Swamp Coolers. Very cheap and easy. It's what I do too.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #1529
hepcat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 76

So today, I boiled some bottled spring water along with some jars/lids in my boil kettle, put the lid on while I let it cool down a little and when I went to take the jars out of the BK, I noticed some solid particulate floating on the surface of the water. Not 100% certain what it was but figure it's most likely remnant extract from the last brew day this past Saturday. I did clean/scrub the BK after brewing but thinking I just didn't get all the extract cleaned out of it. What ever it is, it was boiled for ~25 minutes and I went ahead and put the sterilized jars of sterile water into the fridge to use when I'm ready to harvest/wash some yeast from a batch that is close to done fermenting.

Think I should use this water or not to harvest/wash yeast with? Appreciate any/all feed back as always.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:14 PM   #1530
HollisBT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I would use it, it's been boiled donut should be good.

Fwiw, when I do a wash I just use sanitizer on my jars and lids. It's easier and safer than trying to remove full jars of water from a near boiling vat of water. I just boil the water I need for the wash beforehand and let it cool down, then I always have some sanitizer made up on the day that I transfer.

Quick Reply