The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #1511
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
The yeast is the creamy white thin layer on top of the trub.
Unfortunately, this was my effort at trying to step up the amount of yeast I harvested from my first batch of washed yeast 10 days ago. I was really hoping that the visible yeast layer would be thicker. I have never seen that much trub before in using washed yeast in a starter.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #1512
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
Unfortunately, this was my effort at trying to step up the amount of yeast I harvested from my first batch of washed yeast 10 days ago. I was really hoping that the visible yeast layer would be thicker. I have never seen that much trub before in using washed yeast in a starter.
There's a lot of dead yeast in there too. What was the OG of your starter wort? It's still cloudy too, that layer will get thicker as more yeast crash out.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #1513
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

My starter wort has a SG of 1.040 but the problem is when I brewed and canned all of this wort I forgot to add some yeast nutrient to this batch. I had the starter on the stirplate for 24 hours and saw activity with a krausen. Chilled thw wort for 24 hours to help the yeast drop out and was expecting more yeast to show up. Guess that's just beer being beer at times.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 07-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #1514
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

I decided to pour off much of the remaining wort to get to the thin layer of yeast and trub. After adding the four contents together this is what I have now in 1 jar. I was expecting to find a thicker layer of yeast but didn't get that as a result. I am not sure why this washing is yielding a much lower yeast value than the other dozen or so I have done.

029.jpg  

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 07-15-2012, 04:08 AM   #1515
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967
I decided to pour off much of the remaining wort to get to the thin layer of yeast and trub. After adding the four contents together this is what I have now in 1 jar. I was expecting to find a thicker layer of yeast but didn't get that as a result. I am not sure why this washing is yielding a much lower yeast value than the other dozen or so I have done.
I used to have the same result until I added way more water to the carboy then I thought I needed. When you decant, only yeast is in suspension and you can gently pour this off, leaving that trub behind. I usually used a half gallon pickle jar and 6 pnt jar to get 4 or 5 pnts jars of rinsed yeast.

My hop stopper

Old 07-15-2012, 04:17 AM   #1516
msa8967
mickaweapon

Recipes 

I should have mentioned that this was an effort to make starters out of my washed yeast that I thought had been healthy. I forgot to add any yeast nutrient in preparring the starter and thus ended with these jars. I did pour off the top half of this jar into 500 ml of starter with nutrient to see if anything forms using a stirplate.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa

Old 07-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #1517
hepcat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 76

What a great thread! Thanks so much to Bernie for starting it. I am a fairly new home brewer and am definitely intrigued with washing yeast and using yeast starters. Having said that, I have only perused the first 20 or so pages of this 152 page thread and have a few questions which I'm not sure have been asked/answered yet so let me apologize in advance if they have but here they are:
I am currently using SafaleUS-05 dry yeast(rehydrated prior to pitching) for a brown ale I have fermenting right now and would like to know:

• Has anyone ever harvested and washed this particular yeast?
  • And if you have, how did it work?
I want to make a strong, barley wine type ale (high OG) so want to make a starter for it and I really like the aforementioned dry yeast so want to use it for the barley wine in a starter.
I did see a comment from bernie that if you are using a dry yeast he would not bother with a starter and would just rehydrate a new/fresh package of dry yeast.
But, since I know I'll have a really high OG, here are a couple of other questions:
  • Would it be too much yeast to use a fresh pack of dry, rehydrated yeast and a starter made with the same yeast(harvested from the batch I'm fermenting now)
  • Or, would it be better(definitely easier) to just pitch a pack of rehydrated yeast?
  • Or, pitch two packs fresh dry, rehydrated yeast only (due to high OG)...and this is for a ~5 gallon batch btw.
Any opinions/advice greatly appreciated. Cheers.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:21 AM   #1518
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by hepcat View Post
What a great thread! Thanks so much to Bernie for starting it. I am a fairly new home brewer and am definitely intrigued with washing yeast and using yeast starters. Having said that, I have only perused the first 20 or so pages of this 152 page thread and have a few questions which I'm not sure have been asked/answered yet so let me apologize in advance if they have but here they are:
I am currently using SafaleUS-05 dry yeast(rehydrated prior to pitching) for a brown ale I have fermenting right now and would like to know:
  • Has anyone ever harvested and washed this particular yeast?
  • And if you have, how did it work?
I want to make a strong, barley wine type ale (high OG) so want to make a starter for it and I really like the aforementioned dry yeast so want to use it for the barley wine in a starter.
I did see a comment from bernie that if you are using a dry yeast he would not bother with a starter and would just rehydrate a new/fresh package of dry yeast.
But, since I know I'll have a really high OG, here are a couple of other questions:
  • Would it be too much yeast to use a fresh pack of dry, rehydrated yeast and a starter made with the same yeast(harvested from the batch I'm fermenting now)
  • Or, would it be better(definitely easier) to just pitch a pack of rehydrated yeast?
  • Or, pitch two packs fresh dry, rehydrated yeast only (due to high OG)...and this is for a ~5 gallon batch btw.
Any opinions/advice greatly appreciated. Cheers.
People are saying for an initial pitching with dry yeast to not bother making a starter because it negates some of the benefits of using dry yeast. However, by all means harvest that S-05 now that it is already in a batch. It will harvest well and you can use the slurry just as in any other beer. You should have plenty of slurry for a high OG barley wine. Use Mr Malty to calculate how much slurry you need. No need to buy more yeast if you've already got some in your fermenter.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #1519
hepcat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Excellent thanks pabloj13.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #1520
MirImage
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just kegged a blonde ale and a cream ale. I screwed up washing the cream ale and only got two jars, but I don't think i'll be doing many more cream ales soon. Thanks for the Thread Bernie. Go Crew!

Fermenting: malbec, Chocolate Raspberry Porter
Bottled: Ridgeback Red, Apfelwein, Blackberry Wheat
Kegged: Millennium Falcon IPA, Blackberry Wheat, Black Crack Imperial Stout
Coming: kiwi/prickle pear mead

Quick Reply