Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #1501
TBaGZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Well my one gallon pickle jar didn't like being boiled. The bottom broke off clean. I ended up using a plastic pitcher that I dunked in some star san.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #1502
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

well, I have 4 mason jars with washed 3068 sitting in my fridge that I did from my hefe batch 4 weeks ago. going to brew another hef this weekend. my question is... should I create a starter any longer in advance than a smack pack? like should I do it 2 days in advance to make sure it comes out of sleep being that the yeast has been in the fridge for 4 weeks or is 24 hours enough for it?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:07 PM   #1503
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
well, I have 4 mason jars with washed 3068 sitting in my fridge that I did from my hefe batch 4 weeks ago. going to brew another hef this weekend. my question is... should I create a starter any longer in advance than a smack pack? like should I do it 2 days in advance to make sure it comes out of sleep being that the yeast has been in the fridge for 4 weeks or is 24 hours enough for it?

Last week I brewed a Belgian Wit and A Hefe both (5 gallon batches) from washed yeasts (WLP 400 & WLP300) and that yeast had been sitting in my fridge for 2 months.

I did a starter (on a stir plate) 24 hours ahead of brew time and the yeast did just fine and took off with no problems. I did take the yeast out of the fridge about 2 hours before I made the starter just to let it come up to room temp. I don't know if that matters or not.... it just seemed logical to me to do it that way.

Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #1504
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I recently washed 3 batches of yeast and ended up with 10 mason jars with the bottom cm containing yeast. I know I should make a starter when using the washed yeast but in terms of determining the size of the starter how should I treat the viability of the washed yeast compared to liquid yeast I buy from the HBS?

Wil the washed yeast have a much lower viability and thus should I make a larger starter?

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 07-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #1505
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
I recently washed 3 batches of yeast and ended up with 10 mason jars with the bottom cm containing yeast. I know I should make a starter when using the washed yeast but in terms of determining the size of the starter how should I treat the viability of the washed yeast compared to liquid yeast I buy from the HBS?

Wil the washed yeast have a much lower viability and thus should I make a larger starter?
The viability is dependent on when you harvested. You can use Mr Malty to tell you how many billion viable cells you have and then use yeastcalc.com to tell you what size starter(s) you need.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #1506
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

quick question. I have 4 mason jars of 3068 yeast. say I use 1 or 2 to make a new batch. now I have 2 leftover. should I just wash the yeast out of the newly finished batch and use THOSE for my next batches or use the washed yeast leftover from my FIRST washing??

Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #1507
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
quick question. I have 4 mason jars of 3068 yeast. say I use 1 or 2 to make a new batch. now I have 2 leftover. should I just wash the yeast out of the newly finished batch and use THOSE for my next batches or use the washed yeast leftover from my FIRST washing??
I try to keep the older generations around for a while just to make sure the new ones are ok (i.e. not contaminated and washing went well) until my older generation starts to get a little bit up there in age.

So if I were you I'd use some of your newly washed yeast (assuming it's out of a decently low ABV, non-super hoppy beer) and see how that goes. Once your original stock starts to get old (4-6 months is what a lot of people do, though some have used past 1 year), I would use one of them to make a batch with a proper size starter. This way you can make your original vial last for MANY batches.

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #1508
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Anyone know what each of these layers might represent in my yeast starters from washed yeast? I tried making my own starter wort from grain and then canning it so one of these layers might be hot break pieces although I tried to keep that out of the starter.

037-2-.jpg  

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 PM   #1509
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967
Anyone know what each of these layers might represent in my yeast starters from washed yeast? I tried making my own starter wort from grain and then canning it so one of these layers might be hot break pieces although I tried to keep that out of the starter.
The yeast is the creamy white thin layer on top of the trub.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #1510
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
The yeast is the creamy white thin layer on top of the trub.
Yep, that's the stuff!

Quick Reply