Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2012, 01:30 AM   #1491
noblebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pitch from Slurry Calc

Quote:
I've started doing 10 gallon all grain batches (I guess all grain doesn't matter), but I've been doing bigger starters to accomodate.

Should I just use a couple of the pint size jars to pitch into my starter or should I try to "catch" more yeast in a bigger jar?

At this point, I'm not trying to build a huge yeast bank, just trying to get a batch or two out of some of the more common yeasts I use.

I brewed a Centennial Blonde with Wyeast 1056 and since it's a really "neutral" beer, I'd like to use the cake to ferment a Bell's Two Hearted Ale. The cake is in my 6.5 gallon carboy and I can't just dump the new wort on top as I need to split it between two fermenters and I want to clean out the break material and trub.

This batch of Centennial Blonde is ready to be kegged...was going to do that tonight or tomorrow, and I want to brew the Two Hearted Ale in about two weeks.

I suppose I could wash the yeast and collect it in a one gallon jug and then split into quart mason jars
I just discovered this thread today and read through the first 20 pages before skipping to the end. There was a post linking to an online calculator early on that might help you. The direct link to the calculator is here

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #1492
michaelsnayd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Great information! How long do these keep?

Old 06-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #1493
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsnayd View Post
Great information! How long do these keep?
People have reported using them after a year. If you're concerned about viability, pull one out, make a starter with it, and wash the starter. It's like starting the clock over again.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #1494
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblebrewer

I just discovered this thread today and read through the first 20 pages before skipping to the end. There was a post linking to an online calculator early on that might help you. The direct link to the calculator is here
I have the app and have used it in the past. I have 4 pint jars with very nice, thick layers on the bottom. Just not sure how many jars to pitch into a 1.5 - 1.8 liter starter to get the 220-230 ml of slurry the calculator says I need.

Or maybe I just don't need to worry about a starter at all. Since I'll be splitting the wort into two fermenters (about 5.5 gallons each, I could pitch the slurry from one pint jar into each fermenter. Or I could use two jars in that 1.5-1.8L starter on the stir plate and split that into the fermenters. I'm not worried about viability as I just collected this yesterday. I'd like to save at least one or two of these four jars as Wyeast 1056 seems to be popping up in a number of recipes I'm looking at lately.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #1495
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
I have the app and have used it in the past. I have 4 pint jars with very nice, thick layers on the bottom. Just not sure how many jars to pitch into a 1.5 - 1.8 liter starter to get the 220-230 ml of slurry the calculator says I need.

Or maybe I just don't need to worry about a starter at all. Since I'll be splitting the wort into two fermenters (about 5.5 gallons each, I could pitch the slurry from one pint jar into each fermenter. Or I could use two jars in that 1.5-1.8L starter on the stir plate and split that into the fermenters. I'm not worried about viability as I just collected this yesterday. I'd like to save at least one or two of these four jars as Wyeast 1056 seems to be popping up in a number of recipes I'm looking at lately.
When did you wash the yeast? Go to Mr. Malty and go to the slurry tab. Set your non-yeast percent to 10% (if your washed yeast look clean) and set your other slider to 3. Mr. Malty will tell you how many mL of slurry you need.

Next, estimate how much yeast you have in the jar. An easy way is to put another jar next to it, fill it up to an equivalent level with water and then measure the volume of water. If you have enough, straight pitch.

If not, Mr. Malty will tell you X) how many billion cells you need and Y) how many mL of yeast you need. From that you can calculate Z) your yeast cells/mL (X/Y) and how many yeast you have (Z x the volume of yeast). Take that number to yeastcalc.com and put it in the "Initial cell count" and figure out what size starter you need based on how many cells you have and your method of aerating the starter.

Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard
KidMoxie Likes This 
Old 06-21-2012, 03:47 AM   #1496
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13

When did you wash the yeast? Go to Mr. Malty and go to the slurry tab. Set your non-yeast percent to 10% (if your washed yeast look clean) and set your other slider to 3. Mr. Malty will tell you how many mL of slurry you need.

Next, estimate how much yeast you have in the jar. An easy way is to put another jar next to it, fill it up to an equivalent level with water and then measure the volume of water. If you have enough, straight pitch.

If not, Mr. Malty will tell you X) how many billion cells you need and Y) how many mL of yeast you need. From that you can calculate Z) your yeast cells/mL (X/Y) and how many yeast you have (Z x the volume of yeast). Take that number to yeastcalc.com and put it in the "Initial cell count" and figure out what size starter you need based on how many cells you have and your method of aerating the starter.
Slurry was washed just over 24 hours ago. I'll check the volumes tomorrow and check out yeastcalc. That's the one part of MrMalty that isn't present - the size of the starter using volume of slurry to get to the desired pitching rate.

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 06-21-2012, 03:50 AM   #1497
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
Slurry was washed just over 24 hours ago. I'll check the volumes tomorrow and check out yeastcalc. That's the one part of MrMalty that isn't present - the size of the starter using volume of slurry to get to the desired pitching rate.
I bet you'll be able to direct pitch. I agree though. One simple calculation could merge those sites into one SUPER SITE. If yeastcalc added a slurry section, it would be fantastic.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #1498
michaelsnayd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13

People have reported using them after a year. If you're concerned about viability, pull one out, make a starter with it, and wash the starter. It's like starting the clock over again.
That makes perfect sense, thanks! It's your own personal yeast lab.. definitely going to wash the yeast on the batch I have in primary now when it's ready.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #1499
jwalker1140
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post

This is great information! One question though, what harvest dates to you enter on the mrmalty and yeastcalc websites? I assume you wouldn't enter the date you washed the yeast on mrmalty since washed yeast doesn't age as fast as harvested slurry. And I assume you would just leave the yeastcalc production date set to 'today' but I'm not positive. Thanks.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #1500
pabloj13
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker1140 View Post
This is great information! One question though, what harvest dates to you enter on the mrmalty and yeastcalc websites? I assume you wouldn't enter the date you washed the yeast on mrmalty since washed yeast doesn't age as fast as harvested slurry. And I assume you would just leave the yeastcalc production date set to 'today' but I'm not positive. Thanks.
I do use the harvest date. All of this is an estimate anyway, and if anything you'll be slightly overestimating how much you need, which is better than the alternative.

Yeah for yeastcalc I leave it at 100% viability since we've already accounted for the viability with Mr. Malty.

Quick Reply