HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 07:15 PM   #1301
wolverinebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
Washing yeast for the first time right now. Probably should have waited for a different beer to try this. A double IPA with leaf hops in the fermenter and WLP007 yeast is probably not a prime candidate for yeast washing nevertheless I'm giving it a shot.
Add your boiled and cooled water to your fermenter and shake it up good so there are no chunks. Let it sit 45 minutes and all of the hops will settle. Use a sanitized auto siphon keeping the tip just under the surface and siphon just the top stuff. There is no excuse to get trub and crap into your jar even with an IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #1302
Brewitt
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Have to admit for starters that I haven't gone through this whole thread but I noticed at the start of the thread that one of the bottles was 8 months old. So my question is, How is the recovery of those yeast after pitching to the starter? Is an overnight fine to get a starter. I ask because I have been freezing yeast in glycerol (another whole thread on this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/do-you-know-how-make-yeast-starter-then-why-not-farm-yeast-freeze-269488/index11.html) and I am wondering what the relative effectiveness is.

Thanks for any feedback.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:35 PM   #1303
E-Mursed
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Does anyone know if there would be an issue with using the Foodsaver to seal the lids of the small jars holding the yeast samples?

I'm thinking it might promote longevity of the samples and prevent curious on-lookers from trying to open and take a whiff/peek into what is in the jars.

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication” – Leonardo da Vinci
"A set back is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently" - Henry Ford

Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #1304
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverinebrewer View Post
Add your boiled and cooled water to your fermenter and shake it up good so there are no chunks. Let it sit 45 minutes and all of the hops will settle. Use a sanitized auto siphon keeping the tip just under the surface and siphon just the top stuff. There is no excuse to get trub and crap into your jar even with an IPA
45 minutes would be way too long for WLP007. I've seen pictures on here where the yeast settles out before the trub did. This stuff drops like concrete. I let it sit for 10 minutes and poured into the big jar. Then I let that settle for 20 minutes and poured into the smaller jars. I still got some trub in there mixed in with they yeast but I don't think it will be a problem.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #1305
wolverinebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
45 minutes would be way too long for WLP007. I've seen pictures on here where the yeast settles out before the trub did. This stuff drops like concrete. I let it sit for 10 minutes and poured into the big jar. Then I let that settle for 20 minutes and poured into the smaller jars. I still got some trub in there mixed in with they yeast but I don't think it will be a problem.
I've never used that yeast but that seems unreal! I mean, how does a small microscopic yeast cell settle out before a heavy visible hop/trub particle? Even when I chill my starter flask of yeast for 24 hours, it has still not settled out.
Another thing, since I started not pouring from jars and using my auto siphon instead, I find I get no trub. None.... at least that you can see. My yeast settles out into an off-white 1/2" layer in a pint jar.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:01 AM   #1306
Accidic

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If the yeast settles slower than the trub then perhaps let it settle a bit, decant, add more boiled water, repeat. At least you'll see how much yeast you have right off.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #1307
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts

Here's what I ended up with. I am happy with the results considering how difficult this strain can be to wash. The one on the right only ended up with a very fine layer on the bottom. The rest of them have a good amount in them

Old 01-14-2012, 01:47 PM   #1308
sheeshomatic
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Baby food jars.

That's all I have to say right there. I came to this thread awhile back and have since washed 4 different yeast strains. To say that's taxing on the fridge storage space is an understatement. I could buy those test tubes that white labs uses, or something else smaller, but I was wandering through the megamart the other day and on their clearance rack they had close to expiration baby food in perfect size little glass jars for a quarter. They're 4oz and since they're small, you can fit a lot of them in a pot of boiling water. The food that was in them is so bland that there is no lasting odor or anything in the jars.

It's an extra step, but after the pint jars sit in the fridge for a couple of days or a week, I just decant most of the liquid and pour off into the sterilized baby food jars. TONS of space saved. Cheers y'all!

On Tap at DWB
#1 - Seamus Stout
#2 - The Darling - Clementine Hefeweizen
Conditioning/Fermenting
#1 - Breakfast of Champions
#2 - Four Horsemen Imperial IPA

Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #1309
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeshomatic View Post
Baby food jars.

It's an extra step, but after the pint jars sit in the fridge for a couple of days or a week, I just decant most of the liquid and pour off into the sterilized baby food jars. TONS of space saved. Cheers y'all!
Good score .. storage space is a challenge, so I switched to these

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #1310
brewser7
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

subscribing and looking forward to washing my first batch soon.

Thanks to everyone who contributes their knowledge on this forum on a daily basis. It helps beginners like me more than you can even imagine!

Quick Reply