Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #1201
SwampassJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I think 1728 was a success. Two 100ml amounts.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #1202
Larso
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I harvested a Californian ale yeast a few days ago and washed it twice. Didn't get much seperation between trub and liquid as I've seen on all the how-tos . Anyway, this is what I've got now in the fridge. I've got glycerine and tubes and I intend freezing it. Can someone tell me which bit is the yeast. I think it's the very thin creamy layer. A lot less than I expected. Is the bottom stuff just useless crap? Is this a typical yield from a White labs vial pitched into a 20l batch , harvested from trub? They're 250ml containers.

Thanks!

L

image-1359995950.jpg

Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #1203
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Liked 200 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 119

My plan was to read every post starting from page 1 so as not to ask a question that has already been answered... by page 14 I realized it might be worth just asking my damn question

It seems like most folks yield about four 1/2 pint jars of washed yeast (at least that's my plan). Since I hate making starters, could I simply pitch 2 (or more) of my jars (brought up to temp) into my wort? I'm also thinking about just combining the yeast from 2 jars into 1, then pitching that one larger jar directly into the wort.

I understand one of the positives of making a starter is that it's a good test of yeast viability prior to pitching into wort... but if I trust my yeast is good... ehhh?

Cheers!!!

Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #1204
franklinswheat
Recipes 

So I tried this tonight. But instead of the second set of mason jars I went with old white labs tunes I saved. Anybody else try this? Also I boiled the white labs tubes after I removed all the stickers but they turned almost a frosty color after. Is this a problem or is it just a side affect of the boiling?

Hi

Old 11-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #1205
cravej
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSpotBrewing View Post
My plan was to read every post starting from page 1 so as not to ask a question that has already been answered... by page 14 I realized it might be worth just asking my damn question

It seems like most folks yield about four 1/2 pint jars of washed yeast (at least that's my plan). Since I hate making starters, could I simply pitch 2 (or more) of my jars (brought up to temp) into my wort? I'm also thinking about just combining the yeast from 2 jars into 1, then pitching that one larger jar directly into the wort.

I understand one of the positives of making a starter is that it's a good test of yeast viability prior to pitching into wort... but if I trust my yeast is good... ehhh?

Cheers!!!
The starter multiplies the yeast cells to get a good pitching rate. Sure you could toss one mason jar and it will ferment, but you have no idea how many healthy cells there are.

If you don't want to make starters, then skip the washing step and just pitch the next wort on the previous yeast cake.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #1206
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I'll pitch to 5g at sub 1.06 if within 2 weeks of harvest if I have at minimum 1/4" of washed yeast in a standard 1/2 pint mason jar. I pitched about 3/16 of an inch that produced a some off flavor albeit not undrinkable. I think most calculators prefer closer to 5/8 an inch at that point tho.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 AM   #1207
ubermick
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Where has this BEEN all my life? I've been pissing away money on fresh yeast every brew day, because I've been paranoid about this method not being sanitary enough, but a friend who's been using it for a couple of years finally eased my fears, pointing out that bacteria is completely unavoidable unless you have a clean room, and the few bacteria cells that make it into your wort have to compete with the almost half a TRILLION yeast cells that are going in there too. That's right, half a trillion - because if a White Labs tube has 140 billion cells, each of these jars has more than five times the volume of one tube. Even assuming a less than optimal yeast count, that's just CRAZY!

And doing this with a conical is an absolute SNAP. Just dump into a sterilized half gallon widemouth mason jar, let everything settle out, decant the wort that made it out, and begin the washing process. Every batch gives me four of these jars, which as mentioned has over five times the yeast that's in a White Labs tube!

Old 11-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #1208
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 66

The amount of yeast you're getting from that conical gives me brewers wood. Jebus. I have to combine or rewash to get that kind of volume. GJ.

Old 11-16-2011, 07:35 PM   #1209
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Why would you have to use TWO. We have been using one jar with no problems, with no starter, but of course this may be wrong... THis really makes me wanna get those 5 conicals that were on ebay... lol

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Old 11-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #1210
milldoggy
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick
Where has this BEEN all my life? I've been pissing away money on fresh yeast every brew day, because I've been paranoid about this method not being sanitary enough, but a friend who's been using it for a couple of years finally eased my fears, pointing out that bacteria is completely unavoidable unless you have a clean room, and the few bacteria cells that make it into your wort have to compete with the almost half a TRILLION yeast cells that are going in there too. That's right, half a trillion - because if a White Labs tube has 140 billion cells, each of these jars has more than five times the volume of one tube. Even assuming a less than optimal yeast count, that's just CRAZY!

And doing this with a conical is an absolute SNAP. Just dump into a sterilized half gallon widemouth mason jar, let everything settle out, decant the wort that made it out, and begin the washing process. Every batch gives me four of these jars, which as mentioned has over five times the yeast that's in a White Labs tube!
That looks like trub, the yeast is the thin white line on the top. You probably want to wash that unless you do not care about the trub

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Home Brew Talk

My hop stopper

Quick Reply