New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #1041
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

How long ago did you wash that yeast? Mr. Malty's calculator lets you calculate the amount of slurry you need. And you can put in the date it was harvested to get its viability. so if you can measure the slurry in your jar, based on what you need, you technically shouldn't need a starter.

Everyone will tell you to have a starter, but if you can't, take it out of the fridge, maybe over estimate a little, let it warm up, give it a shake, and pitch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #1042
Sokrateez
Recipes 

So it says that even if my slurry was extra liquidy, and 25% of the liquid was non-yeast material, that I would only need to pitch 238ml? So I guess just pitching one whole pint jar (which I figure would be around 350ml) straight into the fermenter.

The yeast was washed yesterday night. Planning on brewing tomorrowish.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #1043
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Was your full jar yeast slurry? It means the slurry for that calculation, not the volume of wort on top (of which the yeast should settle down into the slurry, out of the wort, if it was in your fridge). But yeah, as long as you had enough slurry, should be fine. When you have fermentation let me know how it goes.

Old 07-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #1044
Brent_in_Aurora
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I still have 3 pint jars of 1084 left, but the new stuff that I pitched was bubbling within hours. I will try the yeast starter again, though.

My calculations for the OG indicate that I only had 1.015 SG potential; I did not test the OG. The starter was at about 1.010 FG after sitting for a week, so I may have succeeded in starting the yeast back up.

It is difficult to test the specific gravity in a flask as there is not much liquid to test and then it is not sanitary after I uncork the foam stopper to pour it into a tube for the SG test. Is there another method for doing the SG test that is more sanitary?

Old 07-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #1045
kapbrew13
Easy Is No Fun...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

I added boiled cooled water in to the primary after the beer was siphoned off. That was 2 days ago. I forgot to finish washing because I got pulled away. Is it ok to continue to wash the yeast? Took a whiff and it smells ok. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:27 AM   #1046
MJDore
Recipes 

This is the third time I've followed the process and I've had good results. This particular time, though, my jars have a very hazy, pale straw color. I've attached a pic. This doesn't look like any of the other yeast I've washed. Typically the color of the water on top is pale brown. Have you guys had any look like this? This was the second use of a WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch. Thanks!

Old 07-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #1047
Chefencore
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDore
This is the third time I've followed the process and I've had good results. This particular time, though, my jars have a very hazy, pale straw color. I've attached a pic. This doesn't look like any of the other yeast I've washed. Typically the color of the water on top is pale brown. Have you guys had any look like this? This was the second use of a WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch. Thanks!
I had the exact same situation with the same strain. It cleared up eventually. Doesn't really matter what's on top anyway. It what's on bottom.

"What do you use to weigh down your hop spider?"

"Hops..."

Old 07-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #1048
Sokrateez
Recipes 

Okay so I looked up what the slurry is actually supposed to look like, and that picture above helped, and I figured I didn't have enough to pitch straight into the fermenter. I thought I'd done something wrong to get such a small little pool of slurry at the bottom, but it looks like that's what it's supposed to be. So I fiddled around with the Mr Malty calculator and I see that if it's a super thick slurry, then all I need would be a couple ounces (like a double shot glasses worth). So how would I tell how thick exactly it is according to that slider? I mean I don't really want to pour the liquid off until I use it, so should I just guess and hope for the best?

I have an extra packet of dry yeast coming in the mail tomorrow just in case it doesn't work, but I'd like to try this yeast if it's viable.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #1049
Zixxer10R
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bone2 View Post
If I do wash and save my yeast, I should only re-use this yeast for a recipe that calls specifically for the yeast strain that it originally came from, correct? If this is correct, then that leads me to believe after one has experimented and come up with some "reliable" beers they like, this would really be the ticket....
Unless you wanted to start a new strain of yeast for a wildly new and exotic beer! Think of the posibilites!

Old 07-17-2011, 02:58 PM   #1050
dukes7779
Recipes 

How do you estimate your cell counts after washing?? I used a Wyeast smack pack and made a 1.5L starter from that. This was my first smack pack and will be my first washing......and was my first AG!

Quick Reply