Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #1011
KCBigDog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I just pitched some 1056 that I saved from an IPA. First time reusing yeast. Hope it works!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 04:27 PM   #1012
turtle
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBigDog View Post
I just pitched some 1056 that I saved from an IPA. First time reusing yeast. Hope it works!
did it work?

Old 05-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #1013
Chefencore
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My first starter from washed yeast. Hopefully I will pitch tonite, weather permitting

image-1462830238.jpg  

"What do you use to weigh down your hop spider?"

"Hops..."

Old 05-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #1014
KCBigDog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
did it work?
I have some serious Krausen, but it's a little darker than what I'm used to seeing.

Hopefully, everything is ok, but the bubbling through the blowoff sounds like a machine gun.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #1015
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGuthrie View Post
What is the best method for combining jars?

Can i decant 2 and pour it into an jar with existing yeast? Or is it better to totally sanitize another jar, decant and combine into that one?
Bumping this question because I never really got an answer.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #1016
Chefencore
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGuthrie

Bumping this question because I never really got an answer.
I just decant and use existing jars. I like to have a small container of sanitizer on standby, those lid seals like to roll away sometimes.
If I have an extra jar of water that I didn't use, I'll decant all of the liquid, pour some water in to swirl, combine the jars of yeast, and top off with the water.

"Hops..."

Old 05-26-2011, 02:35 AM   #1017
hedgehogbrew
Recipes 

I attempted to wash yeast from a beer I bottled last night. I followed all of the steps except that I poured the whole yeast cake into 4 quart mason cars. This includes the trub in all. Looking at the containers after settling for a day in the fridge I cannot see a seperation between any yeast and the trub material. Is it possible to save this yeast? Or should I scrap it and harvest the next batch of yeast?

Old 05-26-2011, 03:42 AM   #1018
Chefencore
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hedgehog - are the jars different colors? You can always repeat the process, and decant the yeasty liquid off the trub. Also, what kind of beer is it? I find darker beers have darker trub and the opposite for lighter brews. You can always just save it all and pitch it into another batch; or make a starter and decant the yeast out of that, leaving the trub behind.

"Hops..."

Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 AM   #1019
hedgehogbrew
Recipes 

Chefencore - The beer was an English Brown Ale, so the trub is fairly dark. I have decanted the liquid off of it and added more water to rinse it more. I discarded the liquid because it appeared to be the same as the beer I had racked off and bottled. If I just pitched the hole container how much would the trub effect the flavors of the other beer?

Old 06-09-2011, 08:04 PM   #1020
luke2080
Insert Witty Title Here..
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

So after reading this thread a week ago, last night I decided to give this a go. But - my roommate failed to provide me some jars, and apparently my retention of what I read is not what it once was.

I put some water in the carboy (not boiled, or distilled, from the tap) swirled, and put into two sanitized drinking glasses. Putting tinfoil on top. (I think I got the tin foil concept from yeast starts..not washing for storage). And now they have sat for 24 hours like that. Then I re-read this thread about boiling water, sanitation, de-oxygenating, etc.

I know I could get jars and decant re-wash. But I'm assuming not using my brain (was drinking and watching the Bruins beat the Canucks) and not using boiled water means it isn't worth trying to do anything with this yeast. Any thoughts?

Either way - looks like I'll toss and try again next week. Hopefully will utilize some brains next time.

Question though - I see the Mr. Malty calculation app for Yeast to pitch, but I still don't quite get this. Based on a harvest date of a couple of weeks ago, it reads I need 181 ML of yeast. This is smaller then the 500 to 1000 ML most people seem to use as a starter. And from my washed yeast (when I do it right) do I use the yeast from the 1 quart jar? .5 quarts? Does it even matter, because it goes into a starter and maximizes its potential after 2 days anyway?

If anyone has a good sticky or link to that, let me know. I'm finding some basic info, and the consensus seems to be "as a homebrewer, it is tough to overpitch, so go big or go home".....but I'd like to do this right....

Quick Reply