Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #91
cd2448
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i've been using dry yeasts up to now so haven't really bothered to do this, but this weekend i started a batch with wyeast weihenstephan hefeweizen yeast so i thought i'd read up on how to wash it after fermentation.

then i thought - hang on, is this going to work with hefeweizen yeast if it stays in suspension in the beer and gets transfered to the bottling bucket instead of being left in the primary? or is there enough yeast in the trub to make it viable?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #92
explosivebeer
Recipes 

I've now harvested a few batches of yeast using this method. I just went to pitch a 2nd-generation British Ale Yeast (WLP005 I think) that I harvested two or three months ago and as I opened the bottle to pour out the excess liquid off the top, it started foaming like crazy and eventually spewed about 3/4ths of the contents into the sink. I pitched the rest onto three gallons of cooled wort but have yet to see any activity after about 20 hours.

Were there more fermentables in the trub that I washed when I harvested it, giving the yeast better access to them and a little oxygen boost to work with? Or did my yeast somehow get contaminated?

Thanks for any info/advice you may have.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-18-2008, 03:14 AM   #93
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Does anyone know what might have happened with Explosivebeers yeast? I too would like to know. The only thing that I can think of is that the beer he had was not done fermenting (or as he suspects- came into contact with more sugar).....

ExplosiveBeer- How did things ultimately turn out? Did you use mason jars or something else? (Mason jars are capable of letting overpressure out- so long as they are not too tight)

Old 02-18-2008, 03:32 AM   #94
explosivebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oguss0311
Does anyone know what might have happened with Explosivebeers yeast? I too would like to know. The only thing that I can think of is that the beer he had was not done fermenting (or as he suspects- came into contact with more sugar).....

ExplosiveBeer- How did things ultimately turn out? Did you use mason jars or something else? (Mason jars are capable of letting overpressure out- so long as they are not too tight)
There was still no fermentation so I opened another bottle of yeast from the same batch and the same thing happened. I dumped it in anyway but to no avail. After a couple of days so I pitched some Nottingham and it took off like normal.

I have been using sterilized 12 oz beer bottles for yeast storage, getting about five good bottles per five-gallon yeast harvest, with about four ounces of yeast after it settles out in each bottle.

I know my first harvest is good yeast but apparently something went wrong with this batch. I'm just not sure what, or how it'll affect my current batch, if at all.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #95
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did you use sterilized water to add to wash it with? If so you may need to use more or wash it twice next time. You don't want bottle bombs in your fridge. Cap them with tinfoil for a few days and if you don't open up the fridge to a mess on day they should be good to cap.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:49 AM   #96
explosivebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperiorBrew
Did you use sterilized water to add to wash it with? If so you may need to use more or wash it twice next time. You don't want bottle bombs in your fridge. Cap them with tinfoil for a few days and if you don't open up the fridge to a mess on day they should be good to cap.
Yeah I boiled all the water and bottles, cooled them, and then used them to wash and store the yeast. I may just have to chalk this batch up to inexperience and try again. I like your tin foil idea as a safety precaution. For now, I'll probably find a fun way to detonate the remaining bottles.

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 02-21-2008, 12:38 AM   #97
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Ive got to throw my question into the mix. The process is crystal clear thanks for all the pics and explanations!!! My question is that if I used say a Wyeast Liquid starter slap pack for a 5gallon extract batch. Once I clean that yeast how many 5 gallon batches will I get out of that cleaned yeast that were harvested from the extract?

Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 AM   #98
oguss0311
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

From what I understand- you can use each bottle to create a starter- and put the starter into the wort once it's bigger and all that. I think that the benefit if the starter is to increase the size and activity of the colony that you have in hibernation from the previous batch. And from what we saw- I guess its about four cans per batch.....
I suppose the guru's will elaborate...............

Old 02-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #99
Kayos
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge421
Ive got to throw my question into the mix. The process is crystal clear thanks for all the pics and explanations!!! My question is that if I used say a Wyeast Liquid starter slap pack for a 5gallon extract batch. Once I clean that yeast how many 5 gallon batches will I get out of that cleaned yeast that were harvested from the extract?
Minimum 5.
Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 02-21-2008, 02:09 AM   #100
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

So from one 5 gallon bath you will be able to harvest enough yeast to produce 25 gallons minimum.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos
Minimum 5.

Quick Reply