Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast washing and Finings

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2012, 01:41 PM   #11
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummstikk View Post
What do you think about this: if you wait until fermentation is complete (without racking to a secondary), then fine to remove the last few % of yeast from suspension, you would expect that only that small % of yeast are bound up in aggregates with the fining material, while the majority of yeast have formed fining-free flocks.

Depending on the size of the fining-flocks, washing may or may not preferentially remove these yeast, which happened to be less-flocculant. So, washing after fining may have no effect, or may make the next generation of yeast on average more flocculant and less attenuative.

Do you think that's right?
I think your reasoning makes sense; however, you would have to probably do several beers in succession, all with fining use and subsequent harvest to see if you notice a progressive increase in flocculance.

If you take into account the info the info from the Wyeast scientist, he suggests that you will likely harvest both types of yeast ("self-flocced" as well as "fining flocced," so to speak), and furthermore, if you make as starter, the daughter buds of the fining-affected yeast will separate from the floccs. He also seemed to think that the pH difference between finished beer and wort could affect the floccs (perhaps cause them to break back up and release the yeast it had previously conglomerated?)

Overall, I'd suspect that it would take a number of yeast generations for this effect to be evident, if at all...
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
drummstikk
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
I did indeed make starters from two different jars of the yeast harvested from the fined beer...they both grew fine...
Cool! I think I can confirm that fined yeast will still work just...fine.

I went ahead and tried doing the same thing -- I fined a batch, then collected yeast and washed it, trying to collect mid-density fractions. I made a starter with this yeast and then brewed with it. My grist was 65% malt and 35% corn, and the beer went from 1.031 to 1.004. Tastes very dry!

Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 AM   #13
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummstikk View Post
Cool! I think I can confirm that fined yeast will still work just...fine.

I went ahead and tried doing the same thing -- I fined a batch, then collected yeast and washed it, trying to collect mid-density fractions. I made a starter with this yeast and then brewed with it. My grist was 65% malt and 35% corn, and the beer went from 1.031 to 1.004. Tastes very dry!
Great! Thanks for the confirmation on this technique I never had the chance to perform!
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Quick Reply