Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing - did I mess up

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 10:01 PM   #1
Lexvegas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Washing - did I mess up

I poured contents from fermentor in sterile container last week. It settled and I pitched the yeast on Thursday but no activity. Or did I?

I only pitched the liquid and not the sediment. Is this the wrong thing? Is the "sediment" really the yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Did you
(1) boil the water and the jars that you were going to use for the yeast and let that water cool before adding to the yeast?
( 2) Did you make a starter?

You need to add the boiled cold water to the yeast so it puts the yeast to sleep and also as the means to aid in separation of the yeast and trub. It also helps to make a starter so you can increase the cell count of the yeast to the desired level. I have done some yeast washing with successful results and always followed the info in the sticky on yeast washing and in Palmers Book, How to Brew, which is free to read on line. I do suggest getting the book It is an invaluable tool for homebrewing

Here is the thread on HBT. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/yeas...strated-41768/

Old 10-09-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
EvilGnome6
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexvegas View Post
I poured contents from fermentor in sterile container last week. It settled and I pitched the yeast on Thursday but no activity. Or did I?

I only pitched the liquid and not the sediment. Is this the wrong thing? Is the "sediment" really the yeast
If I understand correctly, you let it settle for a week and then pitched only the liquid on top, right? That means you let all the yeast settle and pitched only the beer, not any of the yeast.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 485 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGnome6 View Post
If I understand correctly, you let it settle for a week and then pitched only the liquid on top, right? That means you let all the yeast settle and pitched only the beer, not any of the yeast.
Especially if you had it in the fridge, which I assume you did. Can't see having a jar full of yeast slurry just sit on the counter for a week.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 10-09-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Rick500
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Please take a look at this thread. It'll explain everything.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:15 AM   #6
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep, sorry, dude but it sounds like you did it bass-ackwards. You want to pitch the sediment. What you do is pour out some of the liquid, then put the cover back on the jar, and shake it all up so that the sediment is back in suspension. Then you pitch into your starter.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 10-10-2009, 04:26 AM   #7
Jeepnbrew
Recipes 

Nice one bro... Not to be mean but think about it. Yeast is a living thing and well its not going to be hanging out in water that has no sugar left so its going to settle out to the bottom. Even your packets of yeast are solids... I guess its a case of learning as you go. Get yourself some yeast from the store and pitch immediately!

Old 10-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
asdtexas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I want to bump the thread and tell you what happened (lex vegas is my handle on other computer).

Apparently, there was enough yeast on hand and fermentation is now complete. The beer tastes good. I will rack and keg in a week.

I was moving fast and didn't read the Yeast Washing Illustrated thread carefully even though I've read it about half dozen times. Basically, I was trying to do a half*** method since I was doing two brews a week apart. So, I collected in a sanitized milk jug, put in the fridge and pitched off of that once I let the yeast come to temperature. However, I got confused and didn't think it through and pitched only the liquid "without disturbing the sediment". Fortunately, it seems to have worked out okay despite the bonehead move.

Question: What about just adding the sediment to two or three mason jars and putting in the refrigerator? If I plan to use the same yeast for maybe a three batch cycle, does this add undue risk?

Thanks for feedback by the way.

Quick Reply