Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing and ABV?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2010, 01:35 AM   #1
TRainH2o
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Yeast Washing and ABV?

Hi all. I brewed a Belgian Strong Ale a couple of months ago and washed my yeast. I was so proud of my accomplishment until I found out that at 8+% ABV, it is not recommended to repitch my yeast.

I just finished racking a Pale Ale which came in at just under 7% ABV. I have the ingredients to do an IPA. I went ahead and bought yeast but thought again about washing my yeast. I was just thinking. How high, ABV, is too high to wash and repitch yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2010, 02:19 AM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Just make a starter a couple of days in advance and you'll be fine. Yeast are pretty resilient.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
kanzimonson
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts

Jamil says over 5% and you're pushing it... I like to save the yeast from a smaller beer (like a pale ale, brown ale, irish red), rinse it, and divide into about 4 containers. Then I build starters for my beers from these smaller cultures, sometimes having to step them up. When I get to the last container, I make a smaller beer again to restock.

You'll probably get people who will say, "Your beer will be fine if you use the 7% yeast," and you're right - I'm sure you'll make beer from it. But will it be as good as it could? That's the reasoning I use EVERY time I'm tempted to do something lazy in brewing, like not making a starter or pitching onto a yeast cake. I mean, we put so much time, effort, and money into crafting a perfect recipe with just the right balance of this and that malt and hops. And then we think it's okay to get lazy with the most important ingredient?

You can practically throw any balance of malt and hops in a beer and it'll turn out fine so long as you take excellent care of your yeast. So pitch that new packet of yeast and make yourself a small beer for rinsing/storing!

Old 05-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At $7 a smack pack you'll be "fine enough".

Quick Reply