Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Visual ID/sniff test

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
cladinshadows
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Yeast Visual ID/sniff test

Long story short, I didn't get to do my starters last night for this weekend's two batches (a bavarian hefeweizen and a pale ale. I'm using WLP300 for the BH and WLP002 for the pale) so I thought "no big deal I'll just leave them in the iodophor until tomorrow morning, no problem."

Wrong.

The labels came right off the white labs vials and now I have two unlabeled vials of yeast waiting for something to eat. But, they do look significantly different from one another. One is very creamy off-white and all of the yeast appears to be in solution. The other has the yeast sitting at the bottom and clear liquid on top (flocculated or something), the yeast is slightly darker in color.

I've used WLP002 before and I'm pretty sure it's the one where the yeast is separated.

First of all, does anybody agree that it's probably the WLP002 that's separated, rather than the WLP300? Secondly, if I can't figure it out by just looking at them in the vial, what about after the starter gets going? I've heard that hefe's can be pretty stinky. Could I figure it out that way?

Thanks for helping!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Dos_Locos_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, you should get a good whiff of bananna/clove from the hefeweizen.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
hexmonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Are the dates on the labels still legible? The darker yeast should be the older of the two.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 PM   #4
kscomp0
Recipes 

clad,
If you normally crash cool before you pitch, sample some of the starter, and you should definitely be able to tell.
The banana should be clearly different between 002 and 300.
As it stands, however, you can feel relatively confident that the one with the nice packed yeast is 002.

Quick Reply