New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast transport (airplane)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Nico
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Yeast transport (airplane)

Hey,

I worked in a brewery in Germany over winter break and the brewer gave me some of his yeast so i can use it at home. But what is the best way to transport it? The yeast is really active and is out of a fresh container he just got from the lab this week.
He gave me about half a gallon of it and i cant think of a way to transport in a small container or two that are able to hold the pressure and fit into my suitcase (it will be about 24hours from check in till i'm home and can release it, so it will build up a lot of pressure)
I'm open for every idea. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
Diver165
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Freeze it and pack with dry ice. Box it up in and insulated container and check it with your luggage.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
ChillWill
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just need a couple of small containers, maybe even plastic bottles, wrap in cling film for extra protection. You only need a small amount as you can grow it up easily when you get back.

You can put it in some socks for insulation if you want. I wouldn't worry too much though, I bet you'd struggle to kill the yeast even if you tried.

Quick Reply