Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Test Batches: Bell's, Pacman, Am. Ale II, Denny's Fav.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
Ouroboros
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Yeast Test Batches: Bell's, Pacman, Am. Ale II, Denny's Fav.

I've got cultures of Pacman and Bell's proprietary yeast churning away in the garage and would really like to see how they compare to one another as well as WY1272 (American Ale II) and WY1450 (Denny's Favorite 50), two yeasts that I have on hand from earlier brews. Here is my idea. Any modifications you might suggest before I embark on this experiment?

Fermentables
12 lb 2-Row
1 lb Crystal 60
0.5 lb Flaked Barley

Hops
60 min:
1 oz Columbus

10 min and flameout:
0.5 oz Palisade
0.5 oz Cascade

Yeast
1 - Pacman
2 - Bell's
3 - Denny's Favorite 50
4 - American Ale II
5 - 50/50 Bell's and Denny's Favorite 50
6 - 50/50 Pacman and Bell's

Procedure
Before brew day, prepare 1L starters in identical growlers (1.040 wort at 72F).

Saccharification rest at 153F, 1 hr. Siphon 0.75 gal chilled wort into 6 x 1 gallon jugs. Decant starters and pitch 1 cm of slurry. For mixed batches, pitch 0.5 cm of slurry from each of two starters. Aerate by shaking for 1 min and ferment at 65 degrees. Bottle after 1 month in primary.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
greencoat
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

'Scribed. Awesome experiment!

[/awesome]

Old 06-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll make sure to update the thread once I get to taste the beers. I'm still trying to get large enough cultures to do this experiment and also have yeast left over to brew other things with, so I will probably start this next weekend.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast

Old 06-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 421 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 232

Looks like a great experiment. Keep us posted!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:25 AM   #5
kedash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I brewed 11 gallons of Denny's Rye IPA on Friday. I've always used Denny's Fav 50 from Wyeast in the past. This time I'm fermenting 5.5 gallons using Denny's Fav 50 and the other 5.5 gallons using Wyeast 1272.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the results (FG and taste etc.).

Old 06-15-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Bokonon
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Great experiment. I've used Bells' yeast and Denny's before but none of the others.

I normally split batches between different yeasts but up until now I haven't tried those two together. In the next day or two I'll be racking into kegs a cream ale I used each of them on.

If it was me doing the experiment I'd probably just drop the mixed yeast strain fermentations. When I've done them in the past the results aren't easy to duplicate. It won't be quite the same, but if you increase the volume you make of each test you could just blend the batches together and then bottle.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Wow, please keep us posted. I too, have both of these strains in house and currently fermenting beers!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
CA-LT1
Recipes 

You got my attention, I'd love to hear how this turns out

kedash, will you post in this thread, or start another?

Old 06-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #9
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokonon View Post
If it was me doing the experiment I'd probably just drop the mixed yeast strain fermentations. When I've done them in the past the results aren't easy to duplicate. It won't be quite the same, but if you increase the volume you make of each test you could just blend the batches together and then bottle.
I was thinking about doing a mixed batch with Denny's and Bell's to see what combining poorly flocculant yeast highly flocculent yeast does as far as clarity is concerned. But yeah, for reproducibility in taste I should blend them after brewing. I might do that, now that I think of it. I'm more interested in learning about effects on taste than effects on clarity.

Anyway, I'm considering modifying the recipe a bit to hopefully allow the yeast's character to show itself a little more while still leaving me with beer I want to drink. I was thinking of using 0.75 oz Yakima Magnum for bittering, substituting East Kent Goldings for Cascade, and diluting the wort to an OG near 1.060 if I get higher than anticipated efficiency. It should leave me with ~40 IBU's and a beer that is not too overwhelming in any one aspect. I guess I have until Sunday to decide.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry it took me so long to brew this. Between the world cup and my other obligations in the world of actual jobs and football/soccer, I haven't got a chance. The first post has been edited to reflect the recipe used. I will update periodically if anything interesting happens before I start measuring gravity and tasting the brew.

I will say that the combination of EKG and Palisade smells amazing though. My garage is being fumigated with this delightfully floral, "hoppy," but not in the citrus-out-the-ass aroma. I'm very eager to see how it turns out.

Quick Reply