Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Suggestion for Low Sulphur

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2011, 10:42 PM   #1
senoird
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Suggestion for Low Sulphur

I usually only brew ales and have only brewed one lager in my time of brewing. I could not ever really get the sulfur out. Even after 6 weeks there was still a hint of it. Beer was good just was always that hint of sulfur. Is there an available to homebrewer strain of lager yeast that is low sulfur? This will be for a typical american lager. I thought Id brew a batch for a friend of mine but not if it isn't "clean" per say.

My Other Hobby:
www.mooresolarllc.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
SD-SLIM
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by senoird View Post
I usually only brew ales and have only brewed one lager in my time of brewing. I could not ever really get the sulfur out. Even after 6 weeks there was still a hint of it. Beer was good just was always that hint of sulfur. Is there an available to homebrewer strain of lager yeast that is low sulfur? This will be for a typical american lager. I thought Id brew a batch for a friend of mine but not if it isn't "clean" per say.
Sulfur flavor in beer is a result of leaving beer on the yeast for too long or poor sanitation. Of the lager yeast, I think WLP820 is probably the most forgiving but is for a matlier beer.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
senoird
Recipes 

Sanitation is good as always. Sulfur smell started within 3 days during fermentation . I have read on numerous forums that sulfur is common in lagered beer. There is a strain from White Labs that is low/no sulfur production but its for commerical use and not sold to individuals,cant recall the number on it.

My Other Hobby:
www.mooresolarllc.com

Old 05-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
jfowler1
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 3

To answer your original question, I had great experience with WLP833 German Bock. It is a little malty for an American Lager, but I really liked the result. Practically sulfer free.

As an adder, I just heard (I think on Brewstrong) that sulfer can be the result of a reaction between your yeast and chlorine in your brewing water. It may just be fresh in my mind, but it was the first thing I thought about when I read your post. It was a little unclear if you have the same issue with ales, but even if not, I have to imagine that different strains react differently in the presence of chlorine.

Are you carbon filtering or using a touch of campden? If not, it might be something to consider.

Joe

Quick Reply