Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast strains for brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
rhltechie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast strains for brewing

Hi all,

I plan to brew a strawberry blonde ale and an american IPA, both using AHS kits. Well, the AHS site said that I should use WLP051,Cali V for my IPA and WLP001, Cali for my blonde. well when i read the profiles on white labs it seems like it should be the opposite. Can someone tell me if I am completely off base.

TIA,

M

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I think it makes sense. WLP001 will give you good attenuation and a clean profile, which is what a blond fruit beer would need to keep it light and let the fruit flavor come through.

WLP051 has less attenuation and slightly more fruitiness than 001, which is what an IPA would need. If you ferment it at the lower end of the temperature range, then that might keep the fruitiness to a minimum. The reviews for it on the White Labs web site indicate that it's not really that fruity.

But, do what you want to do.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Old 09-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
rhltechie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve View Post
I think it makes sense. WLP001 will give you good attenuation and a clean profile, which is what a blond fruit beer would need to keep it light and let the fruit flavor come through.

WLP051 has less attenuation and slightly more fruitiness than 001, which is what an IPA would need. If you ferment it at the lower end of the temperature range, then that might keep the fruitiness to a minimum. The reviews for it on the White Labs web site indicate that it's not really that fruity.

But, do what you want to do.

-Steve
Well, that makes sense. I just started brewing so little do i know! I just wanted to make sure I used to right yeast in my beers...thanks for sorting it out for me.

M

Old 09-13-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 93

051 is great yeast for IPA's. Save yourself a few bucks on the 001 and get some S-05 dry yeast. Same stuff!

Quick Reply