Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Strain and Hangover Headaches

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
theredben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Lyikos - As you may have noticed from the previous posts, there is no real scientific agreement on the reason for hangovers. Laboratory experiments with pure alcohol injected into mice have shown hangover effects, and this is 100% pure alcohol, no fuesels, or acetaldehyde, and with liquid intake/output being controlled for. The important part is to find what works for you, and stick with that. Don't bother trying to figure out what specific compound is causing the trouble.

For me, I have found that Wyeast 1214 can give me some serious headaches the next day.

Here is the link to a great review of hangover science, not sure if it is available freely though.
Enter this into google-> DOI: 10.1002/hup.1023

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
Lyikos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredben View Post
Lyikos - As you may have noticed from the previous posts, there is no real scientific agreement on the reason for hangovers. Laboratory experiments with pure alcohol injected into mice have shown hangover effects, and this is 100% pure alcohol, no fuesels, or acetaldehyde, and with liquid intake/output being controlled for. The important part is to find what works for you, and stick with that. Don't bother trying to figure out what specific compound is causing the trouble.

For me, I have found that Wyeast 1214 can give me some serious headaches the next day.

Here is the link to a great review of hangover science, not sure if it is available freely though.
Enter this into google-> DOI: 10.1002/hup.1023
I am aware there is no scientific agreement as to what causes hangovers. But I have noticed there is a trend depending on the yeast, and that's what I want to explore.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
BxBrewer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Funny in that I get a worse hangover from store bought beer than my own. I do leave my beer to condition on the yeast for awhile though. Full keyed pipe line so I'm in no hurry.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredben View Post
Laboratory experiments with pure alcohol injected into mice have shown hangover effects, and this is 100% pure alcohol, no fuesels, or acetaldehyde, and with liquid intake/output being controlled for.
So after pure alcohol injection and having their body fluid and electrolytes replaced intravenously the mice are supposed to feel great?

So very true, though. As long as guys are getting paid to inject mice with ethanol to prove why their scientific model should get another grant for research, there will always be disagreements for the cause of any condition. The prevailing body of knowledge shows that electrolyte imbalance, low blood sugar, and dehydration are the primary reasons for a hangover.

And issues such as lack of sleep, personal psyche, diet, exercise, and a host of others will always be up for study and evaluation.

Lotsa alcohol (usually) = hangover.

If you replace your body's water with water you will have less hangover symptoms. And your liver will thank you.

"Gonna dig a mote. Fill it up with ale." Neil Fallon

Old 12-21-2012, 02:52 AM   #15
Lyikos
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 707 View Post
So after pure alcohol injection and having their body fluid and electrolytes replaced intravenously the mice are supposed to feel great?

Lotsa alcohol (usually) = hangover.
Problem with most research out there I encountered is it focuses on hangover symptoms as a whole. I have encountered hangovers with completely different symptom profile, but the only symptom I care about is the headache I can deal with everything else. Acetaldehyde causes a hangover for me, but with some brands of hard liquor I didn't feel any headaches unless I consumed 400mL+, with other brands all it took was 125mL. Same applies to beer, when I started brewing I noticed the headache causers all had the same thing in common - the yeast strain. Hence this thread.

Old 12-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #16
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Yeah... I high jacked this thread. And I apologize. Be careful, I left a big soapbox sittin on the floor.

"Gonna dig a mote. Fill it up with ale." Neil Fallon

Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #17
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyikos View Post
problem with most research out there i encountered is it focuses on hangover symptoms as a whole. I have encountered hangovers with completely different symptom profile, but the only symptom i care about is the headache i can deal with everything else. Acetaldehyde causes a hangover for me, but with some brands of hard liquor i didn't feel any headaches unless i consumed 400ml+, with other brands all it took was 125ml. Same applies to beer, when i started brewing i noticed the headache causers all had the same thing in common - the yeast strain. Hence this thread.
:d

Quick Reply