Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast stater at high temp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Paquitin
Paquitin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Yeast stater at high temp

My yeast stir plate tends to run a bit hot after a couple of hours of constantly running. When I went to check the starter this morning the temp was at 86F. There was some condensation inside the flask. Should I throw it out and start a new one?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paquitin View Post
My yeast stir plate tends to run a bit hot after a couple of hours of constantly running. When I went to check the starter this morning the temp was at 86F. There was some condensation inside the flask. Should I throw it out and start a new one?
I don't think so. Many yeast labs culture their yeast in the 80's. All that's going to do is make the yeast throw some nasty esters into the starter wort. Just cold crash and decant before pitching. I just cut a piece of wood to go on top of the stir plate and that did a pretty good job of insulating it from the heat. Also people have used styrofoam and silicon trivets with good success.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 654 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 385

I wouldn't toss it. If you're worried about off-flavors let it sit in the fridge overnight, and then decant and pitch the yeast slurry into your wort. I typically pitch the entire starter if it's a small volume (for me < 1.5 L)

Quick Reply