Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast starters

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default Yeast starters

I've been doing some research and using the search option with HBT and I still can't get the jist of a yeast starter and how to get the understanding, how to do it from start to finish.

Link me to a place that explains this to dummies as I believe it's a good thing regardless of beer and would like to start using this process for all beers brewed moving forward.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
raysmithtx
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 4

From the wyeast site.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_makingastarter.cfm

Old 11-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
nsrooen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/how-...ctorial-76101/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/ind...Yeast_Starters

If you have trouble finding something on the site I find that using Google with homebrewtalk.com included in the search gets you what you want.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #4
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I'm no expert but it depends on what you are brewing. If doing normal grav 5 gal batches, generally you can just use a rehydrated dry packet. Or a liquid smack pack. Dry yeast never needs a starter, all the nutrients etc are built into the yeast already. For lagers, a starter is def recommended to avoid underpitching, or the use of multiple smack packs, but that is pricey.

For a starter, you just take a small quantity of DME, or any similar product, boiling for 15 mins to sterilize. Cool to room temp, add yeast, shake, and let go. 1 day or two later, boom, starter. I use a stir plate I made to add air during process which helps increase yield of growth. The process can be altered in many ways but that is the gist.

For the last lager I did, came out great. I made a starter like above, let cool in refrig for 1 day, poured off top "beer" and made another starter using that batch to make a bigger one. Repeated that in the fridge again, and made one last for about a 5x original amount of yeast. That's called making a stepped starter.

It's all very easy, sanitation is important.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #5
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Guys thanks for the feedback it's greatly appreciated.

I'm slowly getting back into brewing, first 3 batches have been fine and I don't think they needed a starter as things were moving along within 12 hours of coming off the flame.

I recently did an imperial stout that without a Friggon DOUBT needed a starter but I didn't know that until after the fact. I don't wanna do that again so I'm trying to get my crap together before my next high gravity brew.

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Quick Reply