Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast starter too long

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Mrakis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Default Yeast starter too long

Question concerning my yeast starter. I made it on wednesday with the intention to brew this friday (today). Can i hold off brewing until Sunday, or is that too long? The weather is $hitty around here, but looks nice on sunday.

If it matters, i used a wyeast smack pack, quart of water, half cup DME as instructed in a youtube video. This is my first yeast starter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 80

You'll be fine. I would stick it into the fridge until then. When your brewday comes, warm it up, decant the liquid and pitch. That simple.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That size starter is used mainly to "wake up" the yeast so they are ready to work. The yeast won't replicate much, if at all. Typically you would make this size only 5-6 hours prior to brewing. So making it on Wed for a Friday brew is not really correct. That being said, to answer your question, it will be fine. Stick it in the fridge. On Sunday, take out of fridge and warm to room temp, mix up another batch of starter wort , 5-6 hours prior to needing the starter, decant most of the liquid and leave a bit to swirl and break up the yeast cake and pour the new starter wort on the yeast.

Now, if you want to make a starter to grow yeast, mix up a 2L starter wort, decant the starter you already made and pour the 2L starter on the yeast 12-16 hours prior to needing it.

Make sense?

14 Essential questions about yeast starters

yeastcalc

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:37 PM   #4
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

No worries. If you're really wanting to make sure it's good to go, a few days before brew day, decant off the starter beer and add fresh, cooled wort to the slurry to get the yeasties going again.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #5
Mrakis
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Broncosquid
Recipes 

How am I suppost to get any kind of post count if all my questions are answered in threads like this. I have the EXACT same issue. Started a starter on Tuesday to brew on Thursday. But Thursday I ended up putting the starter in the fridge untill Saturday hopefully brewing on Sunday. Now I think I am on the right track. Thanks jetmac and Homebrewtalk!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
a few days before brew day, decant off the starter beer and add fresh, cooled wort to the slurry to get the yeasties going again.
I disagree. He's pitching 1 smack pack into a 1/2 cup of DME. This tells me he's not trying to grow yeast, simply wake them up to get to work. If he wanted to grow yeast, yes, he could do it 72 hours ahead of time (although I believe that's a little long. I think 12-30 hours would be fine) and make a 1.5-2L starter.

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:33 PM   #8
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1078 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
I disagree. He's pitching 1 smack pack into a 1/2 cup of DME. This tells me he's not trying to grow yeast, simply wake them up to get to work. If he wanted to grow yeast, yes, he could do it 72 hours ahead of time (although I believe that's a little long. I think 12-30 hours would be fine) and make a 1.5-2L starter.
Sooooo, aren't we kinda saying the same thing? Make a small starter to get the yeasties going? I dunno, maybe I missed something.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NordeastBrewer77 View Post
Sooooo, aren't we kinda saying the same thing? Make a small starter to get the yeasties going? I dunno, maybe I missed something.
Waking them up only takes 5-6 hours in a .5L starter. Just enough time to brew.
In a .5L starter there is not enough sugar to chomp on for 72 hours. They would be dormant again. So you would have to make another .5L starter on brew day.

I know some will disagree, but IMHO, even going beyond 36 hours in a 1.5-2L starter that you want to grow yeast in on a stir plate is too long. If you have to go more than 36 hours, you may as well, stick it in the fridge, let it settle then make another .5L starter on brew day. Otherwise, IMO you're just beating the yeast up because there is nothing left to eat except each other.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Onlooker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmac View Post
In a .5L starter
But the OP said a quart, not half. So roughly a liter, right? And half a cup is roughly 100 g of DME (though we know it's much better to measure by weight). So using that in yeastcalc and assuming he has about 90 billion cells he'd get 126 billion new cells using a stir plate, and about 90 billion using intermittent shaking. That's a lot of growth.

Heck, even in a .5 L starter (with about 50 g DME) you're getting almost a doubling.

What am I missing?

Reason: Added bit about .5L doubling

Quick Reply