Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast starter timing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
retsp2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast starter timing

Lesson learned: the yeast starter will tell you when its ready--not the other way around.
Made my first starter 2 weeks ago with a 1056 from a washing on Feb,1. It only took 12 hours on the stir plate and was really going. Gave it 24 hrs and then cold crashed and was brewing in 3 days. Happily fermenting a pale ale as I write.
Was going to brew again today (Wed) so on Sun fired up my second yeast starter-a Wyeast smack pack(Nov. 15,2012 date) of 1275 Thames Valley for a Fuggles IPA extract kit..1.043 OG. Put a 1.5 L starter on the stirplate and waited..and waited. Thought it was dead. It took almost 34 hrs before even seeing any CO2 bubbles and then from 34 hrs to 48hrs it woke up and made a great starter. Cold crashing now and won't be brewing til Thursday-one day later than planned.
Learning,learning,learning.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
Komocabo
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ive heard you can pitch your yeast a day or maybe more after brewing. As long as your sanitization is good you should be fine. I wouldnt prefer to do that, but it works in a pinch.
Also remeber that each yeast is different in how it acts. Fun, isnt it?
~Cheers

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Yeap...I had the same issue when I started doing starters (which I will always do for now on)....same thing....starter took an extra day...maybe 2....to get started....thought it was dead....but it was fine.

So now I get my starter going a couple days sooner than I expect it to take....especially if my brew day has to be on a specific day

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 03-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Each yeast is different for sure. Even the same yeast can act different! I made a large starter of a Hefe yeast for my first hefe, intending to save a couple of mason jars for future use. The original starter took forever to get going. Fast forward several months, time to brew the second hefe. Pulled out the mason jar of saved yeast, pitched into starter. 3 hours and it is going like crazy. No joke!

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Quick Reply