Yeast starter with sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougdecinces

Reaction score
I don't do this often, but on a couple occasions I've been low on DME when making starters, so to combat this I added a little bit of cane sugar (never more than 20-25% of the fermentables). I also always add some Wyeast beer nutrient to my starters. Now I know this isn't going to affect fermentation rate/time at all, but I've begun to wonder how this is affecting final cell counts. Does a starter with some simple sugar produce cell counts lower than a starter with 100% DME? For this beer it doesn't matter much, since I'm doing a step up starter, but this information could prove useful for subsequent batches.

Adding sugar to the DME has the effect of diluting the nutrient content of the solution. It is a good practice to add in extra yeast nutrient to help offset this.

Kai did a study on this effect and would be a good source of information to learn from. The addition of sugar did have a negative impact on overall yeast growth.

http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2013/07/07/yeast-growth-on-malt-and-sugar/

Thank you for the link. Man, either the search function on this site sucks or I don't know how to use it. Because now I see five other similar threads asking the same question on the bottom of this page.

Back