*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Starter smells like olives

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
niloc06
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Yeast Starter smells like olives

I made a yeast starter from safale US-05 almost two weeks ago I let it go for about 24 hours before refrigerator it. I was expecting to get some fresh hops this is why I made the starter. The shipment got pushed back. I finally got the hops and am preparing to brew tomorrow I checked my yeast starter and it smells like olives. I made the starter wort with "golden light" DME and some hops cant remember now what kind. Just wondering is this still good or should I get some fresh yeast and start over? Don't want to ruin my beer! Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4507 Times on 3278 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by niloc06 View Post
I made a yeast starter from safale US-05 almost two weeks ago I let it go for about 24 hours before refrigerator it. I was expecting to get some fresh hops this is why I made the starter. The shipment got pushed back. I finally got the hops and am preparing to brew tomorrow I checked my yeast starter and it smells like olives. I made the starter wort with "golden light" DME and some hops cant remember now what kind. Just wondering is this still good or should I get some fresh yeast and start over? Don't want to ruin my beer! Thanks!
I don't know, to be honest. I've never made a starter with dry yeast (it's not recommended by the manufacturer), but "olives" taste sounds bad. Very bad.

I'd probably ditch it, and pitch two packages (or three, depending on OG) packages of dry yeast.

Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 57

I am not an expert, and have not smelled olives in a starter, but when I have smelled them in my fermenter, I ended up with a bad DMS result. I would start over.

Also a mod needs to move this to the beginners forum. You will not get much response here.

Quick Reply