Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast starter for Pilsner using Dark DME?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
2-0turbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast starter for Pilsner using Dark DME?

So, I'm in a pickle...sort of. I pulled my WLP001 out out of the fridge today for a Munton's Pilsner kit I wanted to brew this week. I've gotten into the habit of making a 1.5 liter starter for pretty much every beer I make now, based on advise from Jamil's site. So I start to make the starter tonight and I find that all I have if Extra Dark DME. I'm concerned if I make my starter with this, it will effect the color of my Pilsner.

So, best case, I ferment out the starter, crash it in the Fridge for a couple days and decant off all the dark beer I can and then pitch the slurry into my 20-liters of beer. Any opinions on if this will effect my color at all? I mean, it is a Munton's kit, I'm not entering any contests or anything, but it is a Pilsner which is quite light in color. I'm just afraid that even the yeast slurry is going to mess up the color of the beer.

Thoughts? I guess I could just skip the starter and pitch just the WL tube, but as I've said, I've really gotten into the habit of making a small starter, if for nothing else to make sure my yeast is still viable and healthy. Thanks!

-Matt

BB Primary 1: O'Flannagains Standard Stout
BB Primary 2: DFH-60 minute clone
BB Secondary 1: Dark Soul of the Night Russian Imperial Stout (Until Oct 2010 sometime)
Bottle Conditioning: None
On Hand: DFH-60 minute clone, Light Pilsner (Munton's kit)
Up Next: I dunno...I'm out of fermenters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
2-0turbo
Recipes 

They say you learn by trying, right? I'll let you all know how this little experiment turns out. I mean, while I was RDWHAHBing, I think, "What is the worst that can happen?" My Pilsner turns out 3-EBC darker. I mean, that is the worst, right? I'm sure it will still taste fine. I'll post some pictures later in the week when the starter is done and the wort is ready.

The other thing I'm doing is playing with some hops a bit. I'm going to split the batch in two and ferment in two separate 10-liter fermenters I have. In one batch, I'm going to keep it stock: Muntons Continental Pilsner. The other half, I'm going to add some Saaz hops at flameout, just to give some Hops aroma. The kit uses pre-hopped liquid extract, so I'll take it easy on the hop addition. I'm thinking either 1/4 or 1/2 ounce at flameout. I am really curious if I'll be able to tell a difference between the two or if it will be good.

Any suggestions on the late hop addition? Amount? Time?

-Matt

BB Secondary 1: Dark Soul of the Night Russian Imperial Stout (Until Oct 2010 sometime)

Old 01-25-2010, 04:53 AM   #3
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I'd personally pitch a couple packs of S-05 instead, but if you HAVE to brew w/ whatcha got I'd definitely make the starter and decant as best I could. I would not pitch just the vial...especially in a Pils-like beer where a clean profile is desired.

As for the hops, I think you'll be very pleased w/ the flame-out addition if you're looking for aroma. I used 1 oz of Saaz (per 5 gallons) at flame-out on mine and it came out perfect IMO. If nothing else it will be a worthwhile experiment and help w/ future recipe building.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #4
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Your starter cold crashing method will be fine. The yeast will likely take on the darker color of the extract, but it shouldn't color your beer. Hell, if your batch size is big enough, pitching the whole starter in probably wouldn't make too much of a difference either.

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Old 01-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
2-0turbo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
Your starter cold crashing method will be fine. The yeast will likely take on the darker color of the extract, but it shouldn't color your beer. Hell, if your batch size is big enough, pitching the whole starter in probably wouldn't make too much of a difference either.
It's a 1.5 liter starter that will be going into 20-liters of beer. You're probably right, it won't make a difference which is what I thought too and decided to just do it. I'll decant off what I can and pitch the yeast slurry with a little bit of the used-starter wort. I'm sure it will be fine. I'm going to brew either Wednesday or Thursday, so I'll post some pictures on my blog to show the progress.

-Matt

Quick Reply