Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Starter with Mini-Mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
jonnyj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast Starter with Mini-Mash

So I have a question for some of you more experienced yeast propagators out there.

I am planning on brewing this Sat or Sun, and was going to make two 5gal batches of different Saisons. I know that you want a gravity of 1.030-1.040, but instead of using DME, are there any potenetial issues with doing a mini-mash of my recipe? My grain bill is 90% Pilsner, with the remainder being CaraMunich, CaraFoam and Flaked Wheat. The reason I ask is that I have a whole extra batch worth of grains that are already crushed and have been sitting in the fridge for the last week.

My plan is to create 1/2gal starters by using about 0.75lb of the grain bill (the wheat and Carafoam and Caramunich are already mixed in with the Pils). By my calculations, this should produce a wort of 1.040. Once I get the starter into high krausen, I plan on pitching the entire 1/2gal to a slightly scaled down recipe (to produce 4.5gal of wort for the main beer).

Anyone see any problems or issues with this? Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I don't see any problem with that. I know that some people make their starters from grain. I think starters are supposed to be all barley, but at 90+% that's certainly close enough. With that volume of grain you could use a BIAB method to make it easier to mash. If you're going to do smaller starter batches, don't forget to account for some boil-off evaporation. Or if you have a whole batch of extra grain you could make a larger amount of wort, then pressure can the remainder it for later use. I do that and it is very handy.

Any particular reason you will only make 4.5 gallons of wort for the main beer? I realize that you'd end up with a total volume of 5G into the fermenter. But unless you're have space issues, you might as well make it a total 5.5 gallons to account for trub loss and get about 5 gallons into bottle.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:06 AM   #3
jonnyj
Recipes 

I would save the wort but I dont have a pressure cooker. And space can be an issue (I've had an airlock blown out a time or two before)...I am gong to try a blow off hose, so maybe a 5.5gal would be the perfect test.

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #4
Hex23
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyj View Post
I would save the wort but I dont have a pressure cooker
I've never done it, but some people freeze the wort. I don't know how long it would last frozen?

Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Scuba_Stan
Recipes 

You could use the extra wort to farm more yeast for future brews. Just pick up 1-2 one gallon growlers, with some rubber stoppers and airlocks. Or you can do the tin foil caps. But when I farm yeast for long term storage I always like to be extra clean, so I use airlocks.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
jonnyj
Recipes 

I thought about that since I do have 4 one gal jugs and airlocks. I'd have to store them for about a month tho...to do so I'd have to decant the beer and just refridgerate the remaining yeast cake?

Quick Reply