The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Starter Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
natefrog255
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Yeast Starter Guide

I've always used dry yeast and either rehydrated the yeast/pitched or if I use Muntons Premium you can just pitch the yeast. If I want to attempt liquid yeast I was wondering if there is a good step by step guide on how to use a yeast starter...? I have a flask, stopper, and 3 piece airlock so I think I am good on the equipment besides DME. But looking for a good guide on the steps I should take before pitching when I attempt to use liquid yeast.

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check out youtube. There are a ton of vids. Ditch the stopper and airlock and grab some foil and a spray bottle filled with star san. Boil 100 g dme with 900 ml water in the flask for 15, then chill to room temp immediately in a cold bath in the sink, pitch, cover with sanitized foil. Swirl it around good hourly for up to 40 hrs. Careful not to foam over. Then chill and pour off clear liquid.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
HickoryMike
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Youtube is your friend. Search there or search HBT....there are tons of resources out there.

Use mrmalty.com to determine the size of your starter. Basically, a starter is a small, very simple batch of beer used only to grow yeast. You need to use a 1/10 ratio of light dme/water. Boil it for 10 minutes, chill it, pitch your yeast. Stir plates are nice but not necessary...just swirl the flask every time you walk by.

You mentioned having a stopper and airlock....don't use em. You actually want oxygen to enter the flask to aid yeast growth. Just use a piece of sanitized foil to cover the opening.

I let my starters ferment for 1.5-2 days then I pop it into the fridge for approx 12 hours before use. Chilling the sample allows you to decant the "beer" and just pitch the yeast.

Go watch 100 videos (or just enough to feel confident) and then get to it!

Old 03-27-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Awesome, thanks for the ideas aka youtube

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Quick Reply