Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast starter gone wrong?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
thegame310
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Yeast starter gone wrong?

Morning all,

So I plan on brewing an irish stout tonight after work and I prepared my starter last night.

2L flask, 1500ml starter.

Put it on the stir plate around 7 last night and left it go. Checked it this morning, and sometime during the night it must of blew through my foam stopper, so I had wort all over my counter top, as well as inside of my stir plate, which made it stop working.

I quickly cleaned the mess, and put the starter in the fridge. Will I be good to go tonight, or will I need to make a new starter with new yeast?

This was Wyeast 1084 btw

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 2

you will definally have some yeast. Pitchable amount? I'm not sure.
Here is what I would do. (using full sanitation on all this )

Take a gravity, put the sample back, add more DME and water to bring volume back to 1.5L and og about 1.030 to 1.040

give it a couple of days with foil over the top of the flash, NOT a stopper (you are trying to force out CO2 and bring in O2) Use your plate if it is still working. Check gravity at end if it is lower, then you certianly got growth.

Side note, you can clean your insides of your plate, let it dry really well (dishwasher without soap once cured a firends apple 2c of a coke spill, he let it dry 2 days. - in your case it won't take as long because there is less electronics)

Old 01-23-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
thegame310
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
you will definally have some yeast. Pitchable amount? I'm not sure.
Here is what I would do. (using full sanitation on all this )

Take a gravity, put the sample back, add more DME and water to bring volume back to 1.5L and og about 1.030 to 1.040

give it a couple of days with foil over the top of the flash, NOT a stopper (you are trying to force out CO2 and bring in O2) Use your plate if it is still working. Check gravity at end if it is lower, then you certianly got growth.

Side note, you can clean your insides of your plate, let it dry really well (dishwasher without soap once cured a firends apple 2c of a coke spill, he let it dry 2 days. - in your case it won't take as long because there is less electronics)
Thanks, yeah the stirplate was not working this morning, it's a Stirstarter so I do believe I have a lifetime warranty on it, not sure if it covers this sort of thing though.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I do a 1L starter in the 2L flask, and let it run at 68-70F overnight. Never had a blowoff problem. Of course having said that my next starter is going to be a volcano...

If you believe your starter isn't contaminated, I'd go ahead and pitch tonight if you have at least 1L of starter. Cover it with a sanitized piece of tinfoil until then.

w/r/t your stir plate: If it has a digital control system you may be screwed. Here is how I'd clean it:
- disassemble it, putting any digital components off to the side. Clean these very carefully, avoiding getting any cleaning fluid where it shouldn't go.
- Clean the rest of it with carb cleaner and/or WD-40. If there is a lot of plastic inside, test the carb cleaner in a neutral area to make sure it won't erode the plastic

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
thegame310
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I honestly don't think it's contaminated, as when I checked it this morning the liquid level was at 1600ml.

Now, when I put it in the fridge this morning, I didn't put the tinfoil, I still had the foam stopper in. Will that effect anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SagamoreAle View Post
I do a 1L starter in the 2L flask, and let it run at 68-70F overnight. Never had a blowoff problem. Of course having said that my next starter is going to be a volcano...

If you believe your starter isn't contaminated, I'd go ahead and pitch tonight if you have at least 1L of starter. Cover it with a sanitized piece of tinfoil until then.

w/r/t your stir plate: If it has a digital control system you may be screwed. Here is how I'd clean it:
- disassemble it, putting any digital components off to the side. Clean these very carefully, avoiding getting any cleaning fluid where it shouldn't go.
- Clean the rest of it with carb cleaner and/or WD-40. If there is a lot of plastic inside, test the carb cleaner in a neutral area to make sure it won't erode the plastic
Old 01-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
The_Cleveland_Brew_Shop
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

you are fine with foam stopper.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #7
thegame310
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just an update, brewed tonight, pitched the starter I had left, active fermentation within an hour!

However, I'm sad to report that the stir plate is DOA. Luckily I have a lifetime warranty!

Old 01-24-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The foam stoper is a no no. The whole point of a starter with a stir plate is to degas the starter and to bring in more O2. If you put a sealed stopper (which I assume the foam one is) back in, you can't do this. Worse as preasure builds up (after you are stiring and forcing the co2 out of the solution) it explodes. To demonstrate this in real time, get a soda can, shake vigourously and point it at your head and open. - Now go shower cause you should have soda all over you face and clothes.

Some people airlock their starters, but even this is not the best way to go as the CO2 can get out, but no fresh O2 can get in. The point is to grow yeast, and yeast need O2 to best increase thier count.

Congrats on the active and quick start.

Old 01-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it's one of those soft squishy foam inserts, that should be fine. I have seen those used many times. I guess to be safe though, soak some tin foil in your sanitizer and put that on loosely instead.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACbrewer View Post
The foam stoper is a no no. The whole point of a starter with a stir plate is to degas the starter and to bring in more O2. If you put a sealed stopper (which I assume the foam one is) back in, you can't do this. Worse as preasure builds up (after you are stiring and forcing the co2 out of the solution) it explodes. To demonstrate this in real time, get a soda can, shake vigourously and point it at your head and open. - Now go shower cause you should have soda all over you face and clothes.

Some people airlock their starters, but even this is not the best way to go as the CO2 can get out, but no fresh O2 can get in. The point is to grow yeast, and yeast need O2 to best increase thier count.

Congrats on the active and quick start.
This is wrong. The foam stoppers are open cell so oxygen will enter until co2 production forces it all out.

Quick Reply