Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > yeast starter exploded

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
blackstrat5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default yeast starter exploded

I put wlp001 in a two.liter starter on friday afternoon. Left it on the stirplate and went away for the weekend. I returned to find that it had overflowed on the counter. It looked like quite a bit of dry yeast on the stir plate.

Still safe to pitch the starter.? Did I lose too many cells? Should I make another starter or just try over again? I used sanitized foil to cover the top of the Erlenmeyer flask and it looked like it never moved so it was still on their.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Clementine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have this happen all the time, I now use fermcap (only for starters) and only if i cannot find a vessel large enough to allow some head space for this. When I have this happen I found that I loose quite a bit of yeast about %40. I made a blow off tube that collected the yeast in some wort and I found a significant amount of yeast in the second container. So I would recommend cold crashing for 24hrs min and then decant and add more wort.... and some fermcap.

Clem

Old 09-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
blackstrat5
Recipes 

I didn't realize fermcap would keep the krausen under control. Ill have keep that in mind next time I try a starter. I guess it'd be good to keep boil overs from happening. Its just one heck of a juggle keeping the heat just right on an Erlenmeyer flask to keep it boiling but not boiling over.

Quick Reply