The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast starter with dry yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #1
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Yeast starter with dry yeast?

All of the videos I have watched making yeast starters have all used WYeast liquid smack packs or similiar liquid ones. I haven't seen one with a powder dry yeast. Is the process the same?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
HeadyKilowatt
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 33

No need for a starter with dry yeast. Just rehydrate according to the instructions on the package if you want to (I normally don't even do that).

Old 01-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #3
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 146

The recommendation for dry yeast is no starter. There is ~200 billion yeast in an 11g dry sachet which should be good for most beers up to about 1.06x. If you do a higher gravity than that then the recommendation is to use two packets.

From my understanding, the manufacturers have built in A) twice the number of yeast in these than a liquid yeast, and B) glycogen reserves into the dry yeast balls. This means that you should have the proper size pitch amount of yeast cells and those yeast should have plenty of reserves to perform a healthy, vigorous fermentation. Putting dry yeast in a starter may only deplete their glycogen reserves and the starter would need to be very large to feed that kind of yeast population (think of a 5 gallon gallon starter here <-- that's your actual beer ).

Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
WoodlandBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 57

When you hydrate the yeast I've found it's best to use a container with a large surface area. It seems that longer the yeast stay floating, the higher the viability. You should get 150-200 billion per 11g package if you follow the manufacturer's instructions.

See here for results of cell counts:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/201...n-package.html

The 2nd edition is now available: Brewing Engineering
BLOG: Brewing Boiled Down Brewing science for those of us without a Ph.D

Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
SudsyPaul
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Interesting! I'm glad I read this before I foolishly assumed I should just use a starter for everything :|

Quick Reply