Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Starter done wrong

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
richwerth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Yeast Starter done wrong

So I started a starter with a smack pack and let it spin around for a little more than 24 hours.

420ml of H20
1/2 cup DME
Boiled for 15
chilled and then put the smack pack in and started stirring

Then I dumped it straight from the stirrer into 5 gallons of wort. It was a nice tan color.

I ruined it didn't i?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Cambone
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

yup, its ruined.

but seriously why do you think its ruined?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwerth View Post
So I started a starter with a smack pack and let it spin around for a little more than 24 hours.

420ml of H20
1/2 cup DME
Boiled for 15
chilled and then put the smack pack in and started stirring

Then I dumped it straight from the stirrer into 5 gallons of wort. It was a nice tan color.

I ruined it didn't i?
The only thing I do differently, or, that you did not mention was to decant the beer from the top of the starter. Even if you did not you will be fine. Most people decant to eliminate the possibility of mixing the starter beer with the beer you are brewing. You will be fine.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
richwerth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well...

I did not let the starter start. Just took it off the plate and poured it in. no waiting for the yeast.

There was nothing to decant...

All the pictures I see of starters online have started fermenting

Old 12-19-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
BllShter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richwerth
Well...

I did not let the starter start. Just took it off the plate and poured it in. no waiting for the yeast.

There was nothing to decant...

All the pictures I see of starters online have started fermenting
If I'm reading correctly it is not that you didn't let the yeast start, it's that you didn't let the yeast settle, do you mean you didn't give the smack pack a chance to activate before you combined with starter material in the flask? Also I'm not sure how the yeast would respond to constant agitation from the whirlpool. But like everyone else has already said, you should still achieve fermentation, just watch the temps and ensure you get the level of attenuation you were hoping for. Every process, when it is new to us, will go through some level of tweaking just remember what you think you did wrong and work to correct next time, slainta

Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
richwerth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I hope it goes well.

I did let the starter pack expand over night before I put it on the stirrer with the starter wort. Then spun it for 24+ hours and tossed it in the 75 degree wort that i aerated.

For the next time should i let it stand at room temp for a day, after spinning, before I put it into the batch of beer I'm making?

Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #7
michaeltrego
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't think you ruined anything, but you probably didn't grow much yeast in the starter. A typical starter should be a ratio of 10:1 water:dme, but in your case it was almost 3:1. So your starter gravity was a lot higher than optimal and probably didn't allow the yeast to get going.

Here' is a good article for making a yeast starter.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Some people like to chill the finished starter overnight then decant the spent wort just before pitching the yeast. But it's OK if you didn't do this.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
BllShter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltrego
I don't think you ruined anything, but you probably didn't grow much yeast in the starter. A typical starter should be a ratio of 10:1 water:dme, but in your case it was almost 3:1. So your starter gravity was a lot higher than optimal and probably didn't allow the yeast to get going.

Here' is a good article for making a yeast starter.
What mike said, didn't even look at the numbers, good catch.

As far as settling, after you read the article you'll see that in most yeast starter instructions your advised to let settle for some period of time, as far as decanting, it's a matter of personal preference and whether you use the base malt used in the recipe your inoculating, and you comfort level with just dumping. Good luck.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Wow, that must have been a thick starter!

You didn't really ruin anything but you certainly didn't let your yeast start and grow to the proper numbers. You'll likely have some esters or the like from the yeast reproducing in large numbers in your beer but nothing that would really render it undrinkable. Heck, it may turn out just fine and be the best beer you've ever made! Relax and let it ride, give the yeast around 3-4 weeks in the primary to help clean up any off-flavors then keg/bottle.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply