Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast starter with danstar Notty

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
mlinc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast starter with danstar Notty

New brewer here. I just purchased a yeast starter kit and I am brewing this Saturday. I have never used a yeast starter and is ok to use it with dry yeast? If so should I do the starter tomorrow to be ready for Saturday?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2013, 10:39 PM   #2
cadarnell
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 23

notty doesn't need a starter ... no dry yeast does as i understand it ... i have heard of some folks doing one with dry though if you just want to do one for the experience ... but i probably wouldn't ... fewer steps is a good thing for new brewers IMO

Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
bdkelly
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just follow the directions for rehydration on dry yeast (typically just pour into 1/4 cup of lukewarm water, let it sit for 15 minutes, stir it up, pitch). No need for a starter. I use Notty on the regular, do this, and never have a problem.

Old 02-27-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkelly View Post
Just follow the directions for rehydration on dry yeast (typically just pour into 1/4 cup of lukewarm water, let it sit for 15 minutes, stir it up, pitch). No need for a starter. I use Notty on the regular, do this, and never have a problem.
That water should have been boiled for a few minutes and allowed to cool down to pitching temperature before you add the yeast granules.

I use about 1 cup of water for re-hydration in a pyrex measuring cup. I keep it covered with a piece of Aluminum foil or saran wrap while it is hydrating, When ready, swirl carefully and pitch.

Keep everything that touches the cooled wort and yeast well sanitized.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 02-27-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
IslandLizard
Progressive Brewing

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 1030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdkelly View Post
That water should have been boiled for a few minutes and allowed to cool down to pitching temperature before you add the yeast granules.

I use about 1 cup of water for re-hydration in a pyrex measuring cup. I keep it covered with a piece of Aluminum foil or saran wrap while it is hydrating, When ready, swirl carefully and pitch.

Keep everything that touches the cooled wort and yeast well sanitized.
Preparing: Framboise Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #3 | Tank 7 Saison Clone | Fresh Squeezed IPA | Venturing into some Sours, finally...
Fermenting:
Dry hopping:
Barrel Aging: Old Treacle Mine ==> Flanders
On tap: 2.3'd | ESB | Belgian Wit {1st place @ FSH Guild Wheat Beer Comp.} | Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale
Kicked: Sketchy Bastard | Black Butte Porter Clone | Raging Bitch Clone #2 | Citra Wheat Saison | Rosemary Wheat Saison | Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone | Caramel Amber Ale

Old 02-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 323 Times on 282 Posts
Likes Given: 153

Use the following website as a "guide" to the correct yeast pitching amounts: yeastcalc.com

An 11.5g sachet of Danstar Nottingham should provide you ~200 billion yeast cells.

On yeastcalc, enter your type of beer (ale, lager), enter your suspected starting gravity (e.g. 1.054), and enter your suspected batch size (e.g. 5.25 gallons into the fermenter). It will provide you the approximate amount of yeast cells you should be pitching for your batch on the far right. If it indicates that you're "within range" of the ~200 billion yeast cells that come in a properly rehydrated sachet of Nottingham then you're good to go, otherwise you might want to make adjustments.

I figure that if I'm within 20-40 billion up or down then I'm okay with it, afterall I'm HOMEbrewing . I also pay close attention to fermentation temperatures as this is another aspect that will bite you in the butt if you're not paying attention (notty is good from 55-70F IMO; low for clean, higher for some fruity esters).

Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
mlinc
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies. This really helps.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 15

i've been brewing for several years, and almost always use dry yeast. most of my beers are 1.050-60 range. i've never used a starter for dry, and only had a problem with fermentation 1 time. that was back a few years ago when nottingham had that problem with the bad batch, and i got 1 of them

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Quick Reply