*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast starter advice?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Bottoms_Up
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by statyk View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've decided to ditch the idea of brewing tomorrow night since I want to do it right and I realized I don't really even have a suitable container for the starter... I've got a 64oz growler, but that won't be quite large enough for my purposes.
The 64 oz growler (1.9 liter) should be fine for a starter. I always use a 2 liter Erlenmeyer flask. If necessary, you can always do it twice to increase the yeast cell count.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #12
Bottoms_Up
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Here's a great video on making a yeast starter:

http://billybrew.com/how-to-make-a-yeast-starter

See below the video for written instructions as well.

He recommends using a 1 liter starter, which is just barely adequate for a low gravity ale, but I would definitely go with a 2 liter starter for more versatility.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:29 PM   #13
PGEduardo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Is this a west coast style IPA? I recommend s-05 dry yeast for clean fermenting IPA's. It's an amazing yeast, super cheap and you can just dump two packs with zero starter.

Or spend a bunch of time learning to do starters. I built a stir plate and all, and it's useful for non s-05 brews, but I'll never use a liquid yeast again for that style...

Old 01-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #14
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGEduardo View Post
Is this a west coast style IPA? I recommend s-05 dry yeast for clean fermenting IPA's. It's an amazing yeast, super cheap and you can just dump two packs with zero starter.

Or spend a bunch of time learning to do starters. I built a stir plate and all, and it's useful for non s-05 brews, but I'll never use a liquid yeast again for that style...
US-05 is a solid option for that style. I'd also consider BRY-97 West Coast Ale dry yeast. I tried it out on a summer Citra/Amarillo pale last year and it gave a very clean ferment.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #15
DoWBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:

The dry yeast today is pretty darn good. Just make sure to rehydrate the yeast. Pitching dry yeast directly into wort kills a lot of yeast according to the Yeast book by Chris White.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #16
statyk
Recipes 

Quote:
As a matter of fact I just picked up two packets of s-05 as a "backup" yeast in case I wreck the starter. The recipe I'm working from is the IIPA from Brewing Classic Styles which is itself based off Pliny the Elder (says the text). s-05 is listed as one of the yeast options.

I'm inclined to go ahead and do the starter anyway, since I'd like to get myself comfortable with the process, but it's good to know I won't be sacrificing any quality if end up resorting to the dry yeast.

At the risk of veering this thread off-topic... what are some (common) styles that you think really do require a liquid yeast to get the profile just right?

Old 01-13-2014, 11:38 PM   #17
Bottoms_Up
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by statyk View Post
At the risk of veering this thread off-topic... what are some (common) styles that you think really do require a liquid yeast to get the profile just right?
IMO, just about any premium pilsner needs a liquid yeast. By their nature, pilsners are very sensitive to off flavours, and I've heard that dry lager yeast isn't quite there yet.

Quick Reply