Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast started pitched too hot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
mtaylor2k2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast started pitched too hot

I was in autopilot mode when making a starter, and forgot to check the temperature before throwing the yeast into the starter wort. I saw it wasn't steaming and dumped in the smack pack. After doing this, I checked and the temperature was around 110F. If this were a normal batch of beer and i pitched at 110, I would kiss it goodbye because of the fusels it would make. Since this is a starter (as long as the yeast survive) will they be damaged in any way by fermenting at this increased temp? I'll decant off most of the probably nast tasting starter wort before pitching. Should I scrap this starter and go get another smack pack, or am I safe to use this yeast?

Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #2
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 149 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 83

yeast react to heat in a way that affects fermentation into the future but it's hard to say what will happen to your particular beer, you may not even notice. if you are making a beer below 1.060 i would just pitch whatever is in the yeast package and skip the starter until my yeast wrangling skills improved.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #3
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 141

That is pretty hot for a yeast pitch(if your starter show activity) IMHO probably going to generate off flavors, but then again maybe not. So its kinds a crap shoot. The question you need to ask is are you okay pitching a questionable starter into the beer you work so hard to craft, and risk it. Really it's a personal question.

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Maker of the Original "Manasquan River Paddle", an all hand made, hand shaped & contoured, mash paddle. Designed for home brewers by a brewer"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Wholesale inquiries welcome.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Quick Reply