Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Fermentation & Yeast (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/)
-   -   Which yeast for several ales ? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yeast-several-ales-246781/)

pokerfreak2 05-20-2011 06:19 PM

Which yeast for several ales ?
 
If you were going to brew several ales, from a blonde to an amber to a porter and wanted to use just one yeast for all of them, which yeast strain would you choose ? I have been considering London ale and American II from wyeast.

bh10 05-20-2011 06:22 PM

Pacman

Revvy 05-20-2011 06:23 PM

I use us 05 for 90% of the beers I make. The other 10% are yeast driven styles that use specific yeasts. I sure as heck wouldn't use a neurtal ale yeast for a Belgian Blond, nor for a wit beer, & for most English styles I use us-04. But for the majority of my brews I see no need to use anything but us-05, which is the Chico strain.

permo 05-20-2011 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bh10 (Post 2940333)
Pacman

+1 Pacman is awesome

WLP001 and WLP007 would also be fine choices.

samc 05-20-2011 06:32 PM

Mostly S-05, although I recently did an IPA with WLP530 and fermented it on the cool side. I've been so impressed with the beer that I am considering using it more often to give a subtle change to my beers.

Scooby_Brew 05-20-2011 06:39 PM

I also use US-05 as my house yeast strain for 95% of my brews. It's clean, it's neutral, it's versatile.
Nottingham is also nice, especially for the English style brews: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/us-05-vs-nottingham-side-side-test-246149/


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.