Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast: s-33 and t-58 - what shall I do with them?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
MikeFallopian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Yeast: s-33 and t-58 - what shall I do with them?

I have some s-33 and t-58 knocking around the fridge, and, given there's a lot of debate over their origins as well as some unclarity as to how they perform, I was wondering if I could have some thoughts on what they would be best used for.

I would quite like to make a weissbier for the summer - would t-58 be any good for that, or is it more suited to a Belgian wit?

What can s-33 be used for? I'm assuming from what I've read that it's not really suited to Belgian styles at all!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

s-33's origins are the Edme strain. It however does display some Belgian characteristics and is very nice in a nice wit. This yeast is a beast and loves wheat. The most violent fermentations I have experienced to date is with this yeast. I use it in my take on a wit which is not very wit at all. Have also used in a IPA, pale ale, stout, and brown. Ferment it cold if you do not want banana esters. I currently have a batch fermenting at 57 degrees with it.

Below is the Fermentis Description.

A very popular general purpose yeast displaying both very robust conservation properties and consistent performance. This yeast produces superb flavour profiles and is used for the production of a varied range of top fermented special beers (Belgian type wheat beers Trappist etc.). Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 7.5% but can ferment up to 11.5%

Old 04-30-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Kaz
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There are descriptions here...http://www.fermentis.com/FO/60-Beer/60-11_product_rangeHB.asp

They're both alcohol tolerant Belgian/belgian like yeasts, I would say neither is really suited to a Weissbier. Of the two, I would probably take the S-33 for a Weiss if I had to, the T-58 is pretty estery and, as it states, can be quite peppery. I would try S-33 in a Belgian Wit and use the T-58 for a Belgian Ale. But, hey, this is homebrewing, use them however you want and come up with something new. Just FYI...at the bottom of that page, WB-06 is the weizen yeast.

Draft 1: Lightly smoked Weizen
Draft 2: Belgian Wit
Draft 3: Rauchbier

Primary 1: German Scwarzbier
Primary 2:

On Deck: Belgian Brown Ale, Pale Ale, Stout

Old 05-01-2012, 12:42 AM   #4
BPhad
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I brewed a Partial Mash version of a Blue Moon Clone with T-58 and my family emptied my keg at Easter.
This was a small batch, but you could ramp it up to 5 gallons.
Recipe: Big Fat Wit
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Belgian Specialty Ale
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 4.00 gal
Post Boil Volume: 3.78 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 3.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 2.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.089 SG
Estimated Color: 7.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.9 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 1 7.7 %
8.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 7.7 %
3 lbs Wheat Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 46.2 %
2 lbs 8.0 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 38.5 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 40.0 min Hop 5 22.9 IBUs
0.90 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 6 -
0.30 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 7 -
1.0 pkg SafBrew Specialty Ale (DCL/Fermentis #T- 58 Yeast

Mash Schedule: Temperature Mash, 1 Step, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 6 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Saccharification Add 1.25 qt of water at 168.2 F 156.0 F 40 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Old 05-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
MikeFallopian
Recipes 

Thanks everyone!

I think I'll use the s-33 to make a Witbier. I'm thinking of using the t-58 to make something along the lines of Delirium Tremens, or Brugse Zot...

On that topic, does anyone know what spices are in Brugse Zot? When I was at the brewery they referred to it as a 'secret blend' of spices, though I can only taste coriander in it.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Just wondering how this turned out for you.

I've got a wit in the fermenter just now, 5 days in from pitching s-33, and keeping it at the top of the temp range for the yeast (75F) to see if I can get some Belgian type ester and phenol compounds to come out.

Toga's right about its tendency for dynamic fermentation. Lag was only a few hours then it took off and had a pretty amazing krauzen for the first couple of days after pitching which then started to subside. 5 days in now and only really a few scattered clumps of bubbles on the surface.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM   #7
TNGabe
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2151 Times on 1457 Posts
Likes Given: 2126

I've use t-58 several times - it's super cheap and I've been trying to dial in my process and set-up. I'm brewing a few times a week and haven't stepped up to rinsing yeast, yet. I've had a hard time getting better than 80% attenuation in primary with t-58, but it doesn't flocculate very well, and keeps dropping once it's in secondary. I've tried starting mid 60's and ramping up to mid 70's by day 5 and 60 up to 70. Don't have either batch ready to drink yet, but the warmer batch has a more estery aroma for sure.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #8
Toga
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Just wondering how this turned out for you.

I've got a wit in the fermenter just now, 5 days in from pitching s-33, and keeping it at the top of the temp range for the yeast (75F) to see if I can get some Belgian type ester and phenol compounds to come out.

Toga's right about its tendency for dynamic fermentation. Lag was only a few hours then it took off and had a pretty amazing krauzen for the first couple of days after pitching which then started to subside. 5 days in now and only really a few scattered clumps of bubbles on the surface.
On the hotter end of the range for the yeast you end up with a ton of esters . If you ended up any hotter than 75 and you will end up with enough banana esters to flag down all the monkeys at the zoo

Old 10-02-2012, 05:29 AM   #9
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGabe View Post
I've use t-58 several times - it's super cheap and I've been trying to dial in my process and set-up. I'm brewing a few times a week and haven't stepped up to rinsing yeast, yet. I've had a hard time getting better than 80% attenuation in primary with t-58, but it doesn't flocculate very well, and keeps dropping once it's in secondary. I've tried starting mid 60's and ramping up to mid 70's by day 5 and 60 up to 70. Don't have either batch ready to drink yet, but the warmer batch has a more estery aroma for sure.
In my experience, and everything I've read, T-58 flocculates well and leaves a compacted, solid, yeast cake. S-33 didn't flocculate worth crap for me.
T-58 seems to leave a higher FG, and the S-33 a lower FG.
Cheers.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #10
Haussenbrau
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a blend of S-33 and T-58 in my Belgian Strong Ales.

Quick Reply