Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast reuse/washing in higher gravity?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
Rhine
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast reuse/washing in higher gravity?

im a newer/novice brewer. I am reading a lot about reusing your yeast "trub" which i think is really awesome but i have a question for the more experienced. I have heard that reusing a yeast culture from a beer that is above 6.5% ABV is not advised, I dont brew anything below that. Has anyone ever done what im thinking about doing without any adverse effects?? Any input is very appreciated. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2010, 02:39 AM   #2
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Yes, I've done it a few times. The experts say that it is not a good idea because the higher gravity stresses the yeast, but I didn't notice any problems.
Disclaimer. Just because I didn't notice any problems, doesn't mean that there weren't any. It just means exactly what I said, but I'm usually fairly good at noticing off flavors and fermentation problems.

P.S. The only times I've done it were when I was making another beer with an OG > 1.070

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
archiefl98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I thought that always referred to re-using the yeast cake (trub and yeast mixed together) directly. I figured if I washed the yeast and made a 1.040 starter with a few Tbsp of yeast, and stepped it up a time or two that the "stressed" yeast would have reproduced and created not-so-stressed yeast.

Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't had a problem with this yet. Maybe I'll salvage some of my stressed yeast from my 1.104 wee heavy when the time comes -- just to see.

Fermenting: A few beers

Conditioning: A few other beers
Bottled: A few more beers
Kegged: Many beers
Next Brews: More beers than you could imagine

Old 09-12-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
BeerBrent
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i don't know about repitching yeast into a certain alcohol strength and the implications of that. but what i have heard is that it is better to repitch washed yeast from lower SG beers into higher SG beers.

Quick Reply