Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast ranch, is this a dumb idea?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
ftlstrings
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeast ranch, is this a dumb idea?

I am wanting to start a frozen yeast bank with several strains of yeast. I'm thinking to do the glycerin idea in 50mL tubes. I was planning on purchasing a few vials or smack packs, culturing up a big fatty starter and drawing off of this to fill the vials before freezing them. I figure I will use the rest of the starter in a beer to have as a test for infection in the stepped up batch. This seems like a pretty simple, straight forward idea to me, but anybody out there have any problems I'm not seeing?

Mike.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Well I think that is kind of exactly the idea of how to make a yeast bank. Except for using the bulk of the yeast as a 'test batch'. Make a nice big starter, take enough off to freeze, and make a beer you want to make that will be delicious. Everytime you plan a new brew, freeze a vial the new yeast and before you know it you will have a whole ranch all farmed out. I started with the vials, but now I like to take a pretty large amount and freeze it in mason jars. That way I have a mini starter to begin with. The only downfall is having to buy more glycerol.

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 07-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Were you planning on buying multiple vials of the same strain to make your starter? because that would seem to defeat the purpose of the ranch. I usually just put about 8oz of trub/cake into a clean bottle and stick it in the back of the fridge until I need that strain again. But your plan seems to be more in line with generally accepted yeast ranching procedures.

Quick Reply