Yeast questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arringtonbp

Reaction score
Here's my situation.

I rinsed some white labs london ale yeast from one of my fermenters. I wasn't happy with the amount of space they were taking up in the fridge, so I washed them 1 more time from pint sized mason jars into 4oz jelly jars.

I am noticing a greenish brown layer (trub im assuming), a white layer, and a light brown layer, in that order from bottom to top.

I'm assuming the white layer is the live yeast and the light brown layer is dead yeast?

If that's the case, I'm considering taking one of the jars of the yeast and stepping it up so that I have some more viable yeast. How should I go about doing this? (ie, how much starter wort, is it possible, etc..)

Now, anyone have any insight as to what the different layers may be? I'm not sure what the yeast looks like when it's dead vs. alive. I guess I could make a starter out of one of the small jars and see if it's viable. Then, if it is, I could step it up to a decent amount and jar that instead?

From everything I have seen and read the yeast is creamy white. The darker is hot break, trub etc.

You should get beer/water on top, yeast as the next layer and junk on the bottom.

Back