Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast propagation best practices

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2009, 02:09 AM   #11
sudbuster
This ain't my first rodeo....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by cscade View Post
There seems to be a 50/50 split on this one. Although I certainly understand the potential merits of matching propagation environment to wort environment, it's still not "the same". Often times the sugar concentration is higher in real wort (many of us brew > 1.040 beers) and I would think that would have more of a "shock" impact on the yeast than presence of hops.

The reason I don't hop my starters is because the hop oils are known to coat the yeast cells and hamper their ability to reproduce. Although I suspect the effect is minimal, my goal in a starter is to grow out as many cells as possible.

I don't think there's a "right answer" though, so have at it!
I know. But a lot of us are creatures of habit. Been doing it this way for about 6 years and had good luck. Probably would have been just as well off without it. Not trying to advise anyone one way or another. Stopped canning yeast wort for freezing and still use 1oz of hops. Jus sayin' .....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply