Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > yeast propagation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
fortryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default yeast propagation

I've read a lot about starters and washing/reusing yeast, and the question I'm left with is: why not propagate "virgin" yeast? As in, you buy a packet or vial of yeast, and instead of making a starter of just what you need, make a big starter, split it, then make a starter of what you need for your batch and refrigerate the rest? That way there's no concern over what condition the previous batch left the yeast in since you're always starting from a propagation of the original source. Am I missing something?

Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

There's a limit to how long you can refrigerate yeast without taking steps to make it go dormant.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortryan View Post
I've read a lot about starters and washing/reusing yeast, and the question I'm left with is: why not propagate "virgin" yeast? As in, you buy a packet or vial of yeast, and instead of making a starter of just what you need, make a big starter, split it, then make a starter of what you need for your batch and refrigerate the rest? That way there's no concern over what condition the previous batch left the yeast in since you're always starting from a propagation of the original source. Am I missing something?

Ryan
I was just going to ask the same question. My next three beers call for WLP001 Cali Ale yeast. Can't I buy one vial, make a 2 liter starter, then break up the starter into 4oz jars to make new starters from? Save $21.00!

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
There's a limit to how long you can refrigerate yeast without taking steps to make it go dormant.
Why wouldn't the yeast go dormant? Should you "wash" the starter with boiled water? Easier then washing in a carboy I would think.

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 01-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

There is nothing that says you can't do that, but you will certainly get alot more yeast to wash and save if you wash from a fully fermented 5 gallon or larger batch.

I realized a few weeks back that I was on my last 6 pack of kolsch and didn't have any of the yeast. So I made a starter, harvested the yeast..stepped it up a few times and washed it.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #5
Dave258
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
There is nothing that says you can't do that, but you will certainly get alot more yeast to wash and save if you wash from a fully fermented 5 gallon or larger batch.

I realized a few weeks back that I was on my last 6 pack of kolsch and didn't have any of the yeast. So I made a starter, harvested the yeast..stepped it up a few times and washed it.
Did you just split up the starter, or did you add boiled water?

Dave

Blitzkrieg Brewery

Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
bja
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 72 Posts

Do a search for "making slants". I'm using slants now that are over a year old.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you rinse yeast from batch to batch they hit (in theory) peak performance around generations 3 & 4, you wont get this from building up from one vial/pack and then splitting it.

Also, White Labs says their yeast are "good" for 4 months after being "bottled." Keep in mind that they've done a lot of research and put in a lot of effort to make sure their yeast are perfect for storage. Your split starter is not going to benefit from that research and effort. If you want to store yeast for extended periods of time, do as bja suggested and research yeast slanting.

If you're going ot go as far as yeast slanting, I'd suggest combining it with yeast rinsing. What I mean is once you get to the 3rd or 4th generation of a yeast, then slant it. Best of both worlds

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Quick Reply