Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast problems with stout today

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
SugarJohnson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Yeast problems with stout today

So here's a good one. After a very good brew day making an oatmeal stout, new barley crusher, 80% efficiency etc, I proceeded to drop the damn yeast on the floor. I usually make a starter but did not have time and was using wyeast 1084 activator pack. Anyway dropped the pack after I opened it spiliing about 1/2. Pitched the other half but store was closed. I figure I will pick up another one tomorrow at lunch and pitch it after work. What do you think about the low pitch rate?

PS- Brewed today in WI at 0 with windchill. Man it was cold even in the garage. March pump actually started to freeze after I circulated sanitizer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's why I love my heated garage!

As for your yeast...you'll be fine. Underpitching may cause it to take off slowly, so you definately need to pitch more tomorrow. In the meantime, you should be fine.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-11-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
mgo737
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Recent BYO article detailed an experiment regarding pitching rate and found that the only thing it correlated with, across various beers, was lag time. Granted this was not a randomized control trial but it was interesting...

Old 01-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #4
SugarJohnson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A heated garage may be in my near future! The cold makes the Love temp probes on my brutus almost unusable. The cold affects the thermowells and the probe never catches up. I had to use the analog thermos and manually fire the gas but it worked. I will repitch tomorrow although by 10 PM I do have some krausen and a bubling blow off so it appears all is not lost.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgo737 View Post
Recent BYO article detailed an experiment regarding pitching rate and found that the only thing it correlated with, across various beers, was lag time. Granted this was not a randomized control trial but it was interesting...
I've read this article, and based on the way it was done, I don't buy it. It may be true, but there are a LOT more variables to think about. I wish they would have tried pitching into an undersanitized fermenter to see whether the underpitched yeast could beat down the bacteria before they took hold. Also, I would have liked more info on extreme overpitching.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

Quote:
I wish they would have tried pitching into an undersanitized fermenter to see whether the underpitched yeast could beat down the bacteria before they took hold.
There are yeasts that suppress other yeasts, but bacteria are a whole different matter. Even a fully fermented barley wine can get infected.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
mgo737
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
I've read this article, and based on the way it was done, I don't buy it. It may be true, but there are a LOT more variables to think about. I wish they would have tried pitching into an undersanitized fermenter to see whether the underpitched yeast could beat down the bacteria before they took hold. Also, I would have liked more info on extreme overpitching.
Of course there are a lot more variables. But whenever doing an experiment, you want to change one variable and keep all of the others the same... I agree, that the results are unexpected. But so is a lot of brewing myths that you put to the test.......

Quick Reply